Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto-Vectorizing LLVMpipe For Performance Gains

Phoronix: Auto-Vectorizing LLVMpipe For Performance Gains

Here's a hint that may allow for some notable performance gains out of the Gallium3D LLVMpipe driver for multi-core systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Correction

LLVMpipe is now used as the fallback for Ubuntu and Fedora when no hardware GPU driver is available.
    Ubuntu 12.04 still uses the bloody slow softpipe. 12.10 is expected to use llvmpipe.

Comment

Interesting

I wonder how a highly optimized LLVMpipe would perform?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I wonder how a highly optimized LLVMpipe would perform?
        Not quite sure what you mean there - I think it is pretty well optimized - it has some code just to make it faster already (like aos texture sampling for performance, brilinear filtering). There's of course always more you could do, and the current public code has has some little performance shortcomings especially in the draw code but this doesn't really matter for llvmpipe.

And while I agree that the pass manager probably isn't quite optimal, I can't see how autovectorization would do much for llvmpipe. The reason is that pretty much everything is already explicitly vectorized manually anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by mczak View Post
          Not quite sure what you mean there - I think it is pretty well optimized - it has some code just to make it faster already (like aos texture sampling for performance, brilinear filtering). There's of course always more you could do, and the current public code has has some little performance shortcomings especially in the draw code but this doesn't really matter for llvmpipe.

And while I agree that the pass manager probably isn't quite optimal, I can't see how autovectorization would do much for llvmpipe. The reason is that pretty much everything is already explicitly vectorized manually anyway.
          I interpreted the post as if there were almost no optimizations being done.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I interpreted the post as if there were almost no optimizations being done.
            Ah wrt optimization passes. I'm nearly sure we're missing some, I actually tried some because for instance the code generated for loading constants is pretty terrible but without much success. Most of the passes however don't seem to do much for this code anyway. The problem is there is a gazillion passes available and it's damn near impossible to tell which ones should probably be enabled (and in which order) and which ones aren't all that important. I've also seen terrible code being generated wrt spills/reloads (for example spill/reload without actually using the register in-between) but I'm not sure if optimization passes could solve that or if the spill code is just terrible...

Comment

I don't know too horribly much about the LLVM optimization passes, but after watching the conference video and going through the slides, I attempted to add the proposed modifications from the post.

I had to modify configure.ac to add the LLVMVectorize library to the LD_FLAGS (via appropriate llvm-config tomfoolery), and was able to get it to build correctly when the <llvm/Transforms/Vectorize.h> header was included... however, many piglit quick-driver tests crashed outright either with Floating Point Exceptions, Segmentation Faults, or other errors. I'm sure there's plenty that I missed, and I haven't had much time to play with it, but unfortunately, it's not just a drop-in, fool-proof optimization.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                I don't know too horribly much about the LLVM optimization passes, but after watching the conference video and going through the slides, I attempted to add the proposed modifications from the post.

I had to modify configure.ac to add the LLVMVectorize library to the LD_FLAGS (via appropriate llvm-config tomfoolery), and was able to get it to build correctly when the <llvm/Transforms/Vectorize.h> header was included... however, many piglit quick-driver tests crashed outright either with Floating Point Exceptions, Segmentation Faults, or other errors. I'm sure there's plenty that I missed, and I haven't had much time to play with it, but unfortunately, it's not just a drop-in, fool-proof optimization.

yeah I tried the same thing, and gears didn't start, it dies inside that optimisation pass somewhere. I've no idea how to figure it out either :-)

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                X