Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LZ4 Compression Proposed For SquashFS

Phoronix: LZ4 Compression Proposed For SquashFS

Patches to support compressing SquashFS file-systems with the LZ4 compression algorithm have been proposed for the mainline Linux kernel, but it's not clear at the moment whether the work will be accepted...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd like to see any compression in ext4 but I guess I'm dreaming.

Full image compression is only interesting for embedded systems/Live CDs.

Comment

Code duplication?

I read about LZ4 compression being added to btrfs, then now to SquashFS.

Why doesn't LZ4 just gets added to one common place (subsystem) in the kernel, then all file systems that support compression gets support for it?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I read about LZ4 compression being added to btrfs, then now to SquashFS.

Why doesn't LZ4 just gets added to one common place (subsystem) in the kernel, then all file systems that support compression gets support for it?
        If LZ4 compression only took 200 lines of new code to implement in SquashFS, I'm guessing that most of it was glue code to call into a shared LZ4 decompression algorithm anyway.

Comment

It's not something I would personally use, but I would have said the same for an LZ4 initramfs, and squashfs is used in the same circumstances. Apparently LZ4 is good for embedded hardware. That was just a kneejerk "benchmarks please" comment coming from someone who didn't know how to contribute useful criticism.

Edit: it also adds LZ4-HC, which is a very good option for squashfs.
          Last edited by Tobu; 24 July 2013, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Someone seems to have scared off Phillip Lougher for bringing this improvement to SquashFS.
            It's a pity. LZ4 HC would have been a nice fit for this read-only file system.

Comment

Working...
            X