Luc Verhaegen Comments On Intel/Mir Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by libv View Post
    Also, can you imagine the flack i would've gotten from the likes of airlied, ajax and daniels, if i, in 2007, had chosen to support atombios extensively?
    Perhaps understandable given the amount of time you spent railing against modesetting using anything which even looked like a BIOS, and telling everyone who did that that they were killing freedom. Similar to the about-face on proprietary drivers, which you only went quiet on when you contracted to Nokia to develop a proprietary driver for a year.

Also, funny you rail hard against radeon's alleged NIH of radeonhd, when radeonhd was itself NIHing Avivo, but developed in secret due to your employer's requirements. Ho hum.

Comment

Stopped reading after the first two lines.

Oakley Sunglasses

Last edited by Ra698shida; 11 September 2013, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
        Perhaps understandable given the amount of time you spent railing against modesetting using anything which even looked like a BIOS, and telling everyone who did that that they were killing freedom.
        I'm soo sorry about that. Soo bloody sorry that everyone now has a working intel driver. Soo sorry about having structure in display drivers today. Soo amazingly sorry about putting words like mode and setting together.

Similar to the about-face on proprietary drivers, which you only went quiet on when you contracted to Nokia to develop a proprietary driver for a year.
        Now you really are showing that you have no clue of what Imre and I were working towards at Nokia (which was sadly cut short by Elop). Perhaps if you hadn't been constantly absent and had kept your job, you might have found out. Maybe then you also hadn't felt the need to act out a few months later.

But yes, i am burned on powerVR, but only on powerVR, and i currently think that that is a good thing. I think i have slightly redeemed myself since, and, on top of that, managed to keep many good folks from wasting their time on powerVR.

Since you are working for a consulting company nowadays, why don't you tell all the little boys and girls what hardware you are burnt on?

And i do not think that i went too quiet, despite the fact of being busy rewriting large portions of the PVR GPLed kernel driver.

Also, funny you rail hard against radeon's alleged NIH of radeonhd, when radeonhd was itself NIHing Avivo, but developed in secret due to your employer's requirements. Ho hum.
        The only thing avivo did was show the way forwards for AMD, and that's exactly how it should be remembered. The information it contained, from my brief look before we actually started working on RadeonHD, was limited. And in your infinite wisdom you had decided to GPL it, and AMD disallowed us to talk to anyone, so we were not able to use it. If you had MITed it, or AMD/ATI had been as lacks with us as it was with its own employees, we would've actually built avivo up completely. You only have yourself to blame here.

Would you have MITed avivo if I had kindly asked you, without me being allowed to tell you why? I rather doubt it, as you weren't even willing to give us a mailinglist at x.org later on.

But by all means, point out the bits in RadeonHD where we took code or fixes/workarounds from avivo.
        Last edited by libv; 13 September 2013, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Matthias Hopf brought up the first triangle late 2008, with loads of conflicting information coming from ATI, in the end it was pure manual labour. Without a triangle on the R6xx, there was also none of these things like 3d engine colour space conversion or 2d acceleration.
          I actually ended up being the first to get a triangle running on r6xx/r7xx hardware; it was rv770 actually. We got r6xx working a little while later. Matthias and I worked really hard on that; I don't want to deny him any credit. It was not loads of conflicting information it was was just the general pain of bringing up a new 3D engine that was completely different from all previous asics. Major hw changes are always more painful the incremental ones. There was not a nice clean programming guide for the 3D engine at the time. I put together the stuff we did eventually release.

Comment

Would you have MITed avivo if I had kindly asked you, without me being allowed to tell you why?
            Yes. But no-one ever asked.

But by all means, point out the bits in RadeonHD where we took code or fixes/workarounds from avivo.
            You do realise that's what NIH means, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Ra698shida View Post
              Stopped reading after the first two lines.

Oakley Sunglasses
              Wow, this must be a boring thread if even the spambots stop reading it...

Comment

Yes. But no-one ever asked.
                I really rather doubt it, given the lengths of crap you've been throwing. But feel free to take this up with Mr Bridgman and his friends. During the summer of 2007, he was happily blabbing around while we at SuSE got a serious whipping for something we didn't even cause.

You do realise that's what NIH means, right?
                There was nothing to reinvent from avivo. It was all pretty limited from where i sit and sat.
                Last edited by libv; 18 September 2013, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  I actually ended up being the first to get a triangle running on r6xx/r7xx hardware; it was rv770 actually. We got r6xx working a little while later. Matthias and I worked really hard on that; I don't want to deny him any credit. It was not loads of conflicting information it was was just the general pain of bringing up a new 3D engine that was completely different from all previous asics. Major hw changes are always more painful the incremental ones. There was not a nice clean programming guide for the 3D engine at the time. I put together the stuff we did eventually release.
                  Ok, sounds plausible, but i will confirm that with him later on.

In any case, radeonHD supported R6xx just fine, from the second that R6xx support actually existed. Whoever claimed different earlier really had no clue what he was talking about.

Comment

Working...
                  X