SprezzOS: "Most Robust, Beautiful & Performant Linux"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    Another distro building on already-old-when-released stuff (compiz is in maintenance mode and won't be going anywhere - surely not to wayland, GTK is, well, let's say 'eternal legacy'). Not pushing any boundaries = not exactly interesting...

Comment

click play

" we have KDE 4.9xxx"

k

thx

bye

Comment

Originally posted by j2723 View Post
        Young one very ambitious is.
        SprezzOS media builder. You likely want "sprezzos-world". This just builds CDs, and it does that job poorly. - Contributors to dankamongmen/SprezzOS

To me it seems like any other Debian based distribution, not solving the real problems like updates breaking the system, not being able to install multiple versions of the same software without hassle, not being able to install packages on a per-user basis etc. etc.
        Updates never broke a system for me (except on Arch).

Comment

uhhh, what an ugly linux DE.

- video ugly,
          - the linux appearance ugly
          - video less then non-informative

woder what DE they were using that i looked so ugly.

anyhow, a bad made video and at least the claim of the most beautifull linux is already a damn big lie. beside of this there was nothing else to see.

they would have done a better marketing not showing this video. at least then i could have been curious enough to give it try. now i most probably won't.

Comment

Originally posted by jospoortvliet View Post
            Another distro building on already-old-when-released stuff (compiz is in maintenance mode and won't be going anywhere - surely not to wayland, GTK is, well, let's say 'eternal legacy'). Not pushing any boundaries = not exactly interesting...
            and kde already faild when the first line of code was done... oh wait, what remains?

Comment

Guys guys, all the complaining when we can use all the help and support for Linux.

Everone and every company helping in someway should be a good thing.. (ok, unless its Microsoft)

Comment

Originally posted by Trinitronic View Post
                Guys guys, all the complaining when we can use all the help and support for Linux.
                This is Phoronix Forums, it's basically unwritten law that everyone hates on everyone and everything

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                  This is Phoronix Forums, it's basically unwritten law that everyone hates on everyone and everything
                  Yea i'm new here, well not totally i follow the site for a year now. just only now i made an account.
                  Anyway i will keep that in mind then

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                    Note that this is like Moore's law -- an observation not a rule. You don't *have* to hate on everything, it just happens a lot right now.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                      Updates never broke a system for me (except on Arch).
                      Well, I mainly run Debian testing, sometimes I do run unstable.
                      Some examples what has happened to me in the past:
                      there was an update for grub, update went wrong and couldn't boot.
                      there was an update for gpg keys (not sure what it was, but had something to do with gpg keys), and apt was refusing to install/remove/update anything.

The point is, these things shouldn't happen, ever.
                      I have been using Windows in the past for so long, and I don't remember a single time where my bootloader (or windows update software) got crapped because of a system update.
                      I'd also like to mention, I've been using Windows for far longer than I have been using any GNU/Linux distributions.
                      I'm not exactly "new" to GNU/Linux either, I've been using it exclusively as my Desktop for well over a year now, and around two years as a Server.

I know you will probably argue that I should use Debian stable, but that wont cut it for me.
                      Debian stable - too old software.
                      Debian stable with backports - too much hassle.
                      Debian testing (using it as we speak) - pretty good, some packages stay buggy for a long time though.
                      Debian unstable - also pretty good, but updates break packages more frequently.

I think the design of the package managers on GNU/Linux systems is the main problem here (at least with apt and yum).

One thing that bothers me most, is not being able to install multiple versions of the same software using the package manager.
                      Yes, I could compile it from source (which I do now and then), but that just proves that the package manager has a flaw, if you have to work around the problem.

One promising package manager seems to be Nix, you can install multiple versions of software, undo any updates/etc. . It's purely functional, that means, it wont ever modify existing packages, new packages and old packages live side-by-side.
                      NixOS is a distribution that uses the Nix package manager, but I don't think it's ready for everyday use just yet.

One more thing I'd like to add, I wouldn't be using GNU/Linux if I wouldn't like it , it just has some flaws that need fixing (for Desktops, at least).

Comment

Working...
                      X