Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenWFD: Open-Source WiFi Displays For Linux

Phoronix: OpenWFD: Open-Source WiFi Displays For Linux

David Herrmann, the open-source Linux graphics developer of fame for working to kill CONFIG_VT via work on numerous projects and many other open-source contributions, has started a new open-source project. Herrmann's latest initiative is OpenWFD, an open-source implementation of the WiFi Display Standard / Miracast...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great to hear! I have been waiting for this. Hopefully they can integrate this as a Wayland backend.

My understanding is that this requires WiFi direct, does that mean we will get WiFi direct support in Linux too?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
      This is great to hear! I have been waiting for this. Hopefully they can integrate this as a Wayland backend.

My understanding is that this requires WiFi direct, does that mean we will get WiFi direct support in Linux too?
      Wifi-Direct is just a fancy name for Wifi-P2P, which is already supported on linux. However, not all drivers nor all devices support it. I use ath9k for development.
      Integration into the upper network-stack (NetworkManager, ...) is still missing, though. That's the reason why openwfd_p2pd is needed as a hack. Hopefully, this will some day be integrated into NetworkManager/etc.

Comment

Interesting. I was contemplating wireless display technology a bit of time ago (it's either use that or wire an HDMI cable from the TV to the table). So it's good to know that there are advances in the field.

Comment

Somehow this reminds me of Ethernet Audio Video Bridging:

But adding that to WiFi probably won't happen.
          Woudl be good for streaming stuff.
          Since every device in a network path needs to be AVB compliant. Maybe there is hope where networks consisting of ethernet+wifi will have people wanting to be able to use AVB over their wifi thus causing a push for those features.

Comment

The poor lad can't even sneeze without it making news. Such is life for a celebrity

Big Bro Anzwiz is watching!

Comment

I have googled now and then Miracast server/client solutions for Linux. It's nice to know that there is now happening something in this era.

OpenWFD is an Open-Source implementation of the Wifi-Display standard (abbr. WFD). It is also commonly known as Miracast, the name of the WiFi-Alliance certification program.

Miracast is basically a wireless HDMI-cable. It defines a way to connect monitors to your devices via WiFi-Direct. Compared to other known streaming protocols, it provides mode-negotiation, real-time transmission, low-latency and more. It is not a replacement for DLNA! It does not provide any concept of music/video-files or starting/stopping media-playback. Instead, Miracast just replaces the HDMI-cable and thus provides a single video/audio-stream from a source to a sink in real-time. The main advantage of Miracast is the easy setup and the data-independence. Whenever you have a Miracast-enabled sink (like a TV), you can discover it via standard WiFi-Scanning, establish a connection and use it as a virtual monitor on your machine. Whether it's cloning your main display, used as desktop-extension or setup as independent screen is up to you!
              Am I correct that this guy is now doing only the client (sender) part of the Miracast? So when it's ready is still need to buy Miracast receiver dongle to my TV. I hope we will also get someday the server application.

It would be so nice to use tablet/laptop/hybrid with nice touch screen DE like Plasma-Active to send stream to the Linux PC that is connected to the TV and amplifier.

Comment

Originally posted by josk View Post
                Am I correct that this guy is now doing only the client (sender) part of the Miracast? So when it's ready is still need to buy Miracast receiver dongle to my TV. I hope we will also get someday the server application.
                No, that's wrong. OpenWFD supports both sides. In fact, server-side is the first part being currently worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdhrm View Post
                  No, that's wrong. OpenWFD supports both sides. In fact, server-side is the first part being currently worked on.
                  Climax

Comment

Working...
                  X