Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how about in xvideo support for RS690 chipsets?

it's a shame for amd/ati, that the the standard onboard chip can not play videos in linux since product launch (mor than 6 months ago)...

Comment

Originally posted by notz View Post
      how about in xvideo support for RS690 chipsets?
      The AMD Linux GPG group is and will be putting forward a lot of work with the RS690.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        The AMD Linux GPG group is and will be putting forward a lot of work with the RS690.
        :-(, so no xivdeo support in the next release, too bad.

i hope the chipset will be supported by the radeonhd driver soon. but is there xvideo currently working with already supported cards?

Comment

Originally posted by notz View Post
          :-(, so no xivdeo support in the next release, too bad.

i hope the chipset will be supported by the radeonhd driver soon. but is there xvideo currently working with already supported cards?
          The RS690 should be supported already. AMD's video method of choice is TexturedVideo, which does use X-Video.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Yesterday/today tested and no go

The RS690 should be supported already. AMD's video method of choice is TexturedVideo, which does use X-Video.
            Should? Ok, tested today/yesterday with Centos5 and Fedora 7, with 8.41.7 and 8.40.4. Similar result always. Black screen and Xorg taking 100% of CPU.

I'm not very impressed in ATI drivers. This was my first go with them. Oh and luckily i haven't been able to get ANY graphical out of it. Not even with "vesa" driver.

Maybe tomorrow i will test radeonhd or avivo, if i want to play more, but i think i will reject the hardware and choose something that works out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              He could tell you, but he would have to kill you after that

Just kidding
              If he give to me a copy of the driver, after he can kill me on a multiplayer video game.

Comment

Originally posted by bestis View Post
                Should? Ok, tested today/yesterday with Centos5 and Fedora 7, with 8.41.7 and 8.40.4. Similar result always. Black screen and Xorg taking 100% of CPU.

I'm not very impressed in ATI drivers. This was my first go with them. Oh and luckily i haven't been able to get ANY graphical out of it. Not even with "vesa" driver.

Maybe tomorrow i will test radeonhd or avivo, if i want to play more, but i think i will reject the hardware and choose something that works out of the box.
                AMD has told me the RS690 is well supported and suggested I run some Linux tests. But I say "should" since I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

that answer i got on the radeonhd mailing list:
                  RS690 is still very much on our todo list. So we can't support this yet.
                  RS690 hardware is available though, we just need to find the time.

Comment

AMD has told me the RS690 is well supported and suggested I run some Linux tests. But I say "should" since I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.
                    Ok. Well it didn't seem like it and that RS690 name for it wasn't so obvious, lspci just speaks about X1200 and there wasn't X1200 listed in AMD pages. Readme told that it's supported but the download page for the driver doesn't even list it.

But my interests about testing/playing isn't high and i don't even know how long i will have the machine at my hands. I'm just doing compability tests to see which laptop we will choose.

Machine in question is Dell Latitude D631, it's intel counterpart (D630) worked out of the box with graphics

Comment

did you mean fglrx or radeonhd?

on fglrx i get this (8.41.7):
                      Code:
                      (WW) fglrx(0): Textured Video is currently not supported on IGP hardware.
                      with latest radeonhd i get the driver loading but no xvideo extension is available.

Comment

Working...
                      X