Enlightenment 0.19 Lands Full Wayland Support, Its Own Compositor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
    LOL, check the AUR comments, they're in the works. We've had wayland_shm enabled in efl-git for a while now, so I just enabled the drm engine and it should work fine for all uses. Having a few problems building E, it fails on the wl_x11 module when used with --enable-wayland-only. We disabled that and are getting some EGL errors trying to run it. Once we have a good PKGBUILD, it will probably go into the AUR separately as enlightenment-wayland-git.
    I missed the comments but i knew i could count on you. Major thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by devilhorns View Post
      Thank You

When I get the XWayland support (for legacy applications) pushed into git (maybe this or next week), but Yes it is the first DE to run using Wayland (and not rely on Weston compositor) as far as I know.
      I advise you to wait a bit, because they're rewritting how xwayland is handled.

This time xwayland wouldn't have a specific compositor interface and would be a real wayland client, so it's simpler for the compositor.
      I remember everytime a change to the shell interface code in weston was merged, xwayland for weston got new bugs (fullscreen broken, bad stacking, etc).
      So this change will simplificate life.

Comment

Originally posted by jern View Post
        As far as I understood, this relies on the Weston compositor tho right ? or perhaps I was misinformed...

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
          I advise you to wait a bit, because they're rewritting how xwayland is handled.

This time xwayland wouldn't have a specific compositor interface and would be a real wayland client, so it's simpler for the compositor.
          I remember everytime a change to the shell interface code in weston was merged, xwayland for weston got new bugs (fullscreen broken, bad stacking, etc).
          So this change will simplificate life.
          I was hopping that essential app devs (read mozilla, LO, etc) would have given us something fast enough to not need xwayland but i doubt this will happen in time.

Comment

Originally posted by devilhorns View Post
            As far as I understood, this relies on the Weston compositor tho right ? or perhaps I was misinformed...
            No, I think kwin intends to be a weston plugin, but gnome are using their own compositor.

Comment

devilhorns: since weston was only meant to be an example compositor, could this be called the first proper, full featured compositor? If so, what are the major differences making it so?

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                Nope:

And from the same page:
                Calling it a "plugin" was probably wrong, but what you quoted is exactly what he meant - KWin would render into a system compositor, a.k.a. Weston, which is what would then talk to DRM, so that KWin wouldn't have to.

I still don't think KDE is at the point where they've finished deciding all that, but that was certainly their original plan. We'll see if they stick to it after they start implementing everything. The whole idea of a "system compositor" has kind of gone away, but they've replaced it with something largely equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Calling it a "plugin" was probably wrong, but what you quoted is exactly what he meant - KWin would render into a system compositor, a.k.a. Weston, which is what would then talk to DRM, so that KWin wouldn't have to.

I still don't think KDE is at the point where they've finished deciding all that, but that was certainly their original plan. We'll see if they stick to it after they start implementing everything. The whole idea of a "system compositor" has kind of gone away, but they've replaced it with something largely equivalent.
                  Well sure, if you go to the linked blog post (from the second comment I quoted on the wiki), that's exactly what he (Martin) does.

From what I understood, they planned to implement the system compositor in the session manager (kdm, gdm, lightdm, etc.), which would make sense to me. Weston would be more of a stop-gap solution, to be used (for debugging/testing) until the DMs are "ready".

Comment

Working...
                  X