Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll Bite

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    You are even more stupid than the other guy. KDE 4.0 was forced on no one. KDE 3.5.9 and 3.5.10 were released after 4.0 and 4.1 because both 4.0 & 4.1 were considered tech previews and no distributor (except Fedora but that's cutting edge anyway) shipped KDE 4.0 by default. Kubuntu had a special KDE 4.0 remix next to the main KDE3-based one. openSUSE presented its users this desktop selection screen: http://old-en.opensuse.org/File:OS11.0-inst-6.jpg It a) gives the users the choice between both and b) clearly states that KDE 4.0 is not mature!
    Mandriva, Debian, etc. didn't switch to KDE4 before 4.2.

So you shut the fuck up with your lies, idiot!

If anybody does not like the workflows of Gnome Shell, Plasma Desktop, etc., fine. Simply don't use them, don't spread lies, and piss off to Windows.
    Actually it was forced on everyone!
    Ubuntu/Kubuntu forced it
    Suse forced it
    Fedora forced it.

I mean shit, you had the choice of not upgrading but support drops after a while.

Even Arch forced it.
    Slackware? Forced! But not before some old regulars let Volkerding hold it.

Choice of new software is fixed like most elections.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
      Actually it was forced on everyone!
      Ubuntu/Kubuntu forced it
      Suse forced it
      Fedora forced it.

I mean shit, you had the choice of not upgrading but support drops after a while.

Even Arch forced it.
      Slackware? Forced! But not before some old regulars let Volkerding hold it.

openSUSE offered KDE 3 until openSUSE 11.2 and KDE 4.3. Even then 3.5.10 was still available to install from the repositories. After that with it being the last maintained KDE 3 release, I really don't know what else you could expect of them.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
        And you'd rather fix the election so we'd only get old software?

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
          As for KDE, my first experience was with a Kubuntu distro during my first year of college. The layout was very Windows-like, but that meant it was easy for new users to pick up because it resembled something they were familiar with. My OS at the time was Ubuntu 6.04 (I think), and I was already grooving to the GNOME way of doing things, but the KDE machine was still usable.

Then we upgraded the machine to the 4.X release. Big mistake. It was an unwieldy mess and it turned me off of KDE, because if this was were it was going, neither I nor anyone else in the lab wanted any part of it. I understand it's gotten better (and I have it installed on this very machine), but I haven't spent time with it to check.
          Nobody with half a brain will get fooled by your attempt to cover up your lie by now writing ?4.X? instead your original 4.0 lie.
          The fact remains and I repeat: Kubuntu never ever forced KDE 4.0 on anyone because Kubuntu 8.04?s main release shipped KDE 3.5. KDE 4.0 was only available as an unsupported Kubuntu Remix. Proof: http://www.kubuntu.org/news/8.04-release
          If your college?s IT department chose to install that remix onto production machines, they are a bunch of retarded monkeys.

BTW: GNOME Shell is written in JavaScript and can easily be extended. Therefore is more configurable than any GNOME 2.x version ever released.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Nobody with half a brain will get fooled by your attempt to cover up your lie by now writing ?4.X? instead your original 4.0 lie.
            The fact remains and I repeat: Kubuntu never ever forced KDE 4.0 on anyone because Kubuntu 8.04?s main release shipped KDE 3.5. KDE 4.0 was only available as an unsupported Kubuntu Remix. Proof: http://www.kubuntu.org/news/8.04-release
            If your college?s IT department chose to install that remix onto production machines, they are a bunch of retarded monkeys.

BTW: GNOME Shell is written in JavaScript and can easily be extended. Therefore is more configurable than any GNOME 2.x version ever released.
            I am now convinced of your mental deterioration.

I haven't given KDE a spin since 4.0 because it was a disaster. It was every bit as usable and customizable as GNOME 3 when it was first forced on people.
            I never said 4.0 was forced on anyone. I said GNOME 3 was. Of KDE 4, I said it was a disaster. I also made it plain in a later post that we voluntarily decided to try out the latest and greatest KDE and didn't like what we saw.

I do look forward to your next failed attempt to twist my words into something I never said. I suspect it will hinge on my use of "4.0 / 4.X". But here's a nice nugget for you in the meantime: My first experience with the KDE 4 branch sucked dick. Your championing of it makes me like it even less.

Comment

I never said 4.0 was forced on anyone. I said GNOME 3 was. Of KDE 4, I said it was a disaster. I also made it plain in a later post that we voluntarily decided to try out the latest and greatest KDE and didn't like what we saw.
              You was not supposed to use 4.0 in a production environment. It was the latest but certainly not the greatest version in that time.
              Last edited by Akka; 14 November 2012, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                You was not supposed to use 4.0 in a production environment.
                This machine was never intended to be used for serious work. In fact, this computer wasn't even in the lab offices, but rather in the SPS lounge downstairs where we hung out.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  openSUSE offered KDE 3 until openSUSE 11.2 and KDE 4.3. Even then 3.5.10 was still available to install from the repositories. After that with it being the last maintained KDE 3 release, I really don't know what else you could expect of them.
                  openSUSE offers KDE3 now, as of openSUSE 12.2. Not on the install screen, but from the main repository.

Comment

[...]
                    I never said 4.0 was forced on anyone. I said GNOME 3 was. [...]
                    That is not true either. Apart from Fedora and openSUSE the most popular distributions just dropped Gnome 3. You are free to use Unity, Mate or Cinnamon.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
                      That is not true either. Apart from Fedora and openSUSE the most popular distributions just dropped Gnome 3. You are free to use Unity, Mate or Cinnamon.
                      Now we're down to semantics I'm afraid. When you upgraded to a fresh install of an OS, such as Mint 12, you got Gnome3 as the default. I would call that being forced upon me. Of course I could install my preference afterward (and I did in the case of Ubuntu 12.04), but an upgrade from a previous Ubuntu to the latest LTS resulted in my old Gnome 2 desktop going away in favor of Gnome 3. It took considerable tinkering with fallback mode to get things mostly how I had them before.

Long story short, when you break my desktop experience by presenting me with a UI that I never wanted after begging me to upgrade, that's bad.

It strikes me that your argument about being free to use alternate DE's is functionally equivalent to denying Microsoft's vendor lock-in strategy. You can, after all, use another OS, so you're not being forced to use .Net or DirectX. Or in the Linux world, Canonical never forced the use of PulseAudio on anybody either, because you could always do a LOT of work and install OSS or finagle pure ALSA into working. Just fine. You know, like it did BEFORE they "improved" the audio stack by making PA the default and releasing it before it was ready.

Comment

Working...
                      X