No announcement yet.

AMD To Exploit OpenCL Potential In LibreOffice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should consider many things, such as Blender is used for things more complex than just writing a letter to your girlfriend or other things that do not need OpenCL. Also that you can run blender on most distributions simply downloading the official build and run the blender executable file.

I do not say that Blender is more used than LibreOffice. Try not to disprove what I had said and you have in mind whom I had answered before.

Comment

An office program is an interesting place to start, but it is just that, a start. I've always wondered why AMD hasn't turned their attention more towards Linux because their products, such as APU's beg for a software platform that can show the full potential of these parts. I know they make their money on other platforms, but it would be great if when they debut their new concept products they don't have to rely on theoretical measurements on a Powerpoint slide and instead could have something cooked up using Linux to show proof of concept of what their design can do. I'm getting more optimistic about AMD by the day.

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
        You should consider many things, such as Blender is used for things more complex than just writing a letter to your girlfriend or other things that do not need OpenCL. Also that you can run blender on most distributions simply downloading the official build and run the blender executable file.

I do not say that Blender is more used than LibreOffice. Try not to disprove what I had said and you have in mind whom I had answered before.
        And yet Blender can only be run well enough on a small set of AMD APUs anyway. LibreOffice runs on all of them.

Originally posted by lakerssuperman View Post
        I know they make their money on other platforms, but it would be great if when they debut their new concept products they don't have to rely on theoretical measurements on a Powerpoint slide and instead could have something cooked up using Linux to show proof of concept of what their design can do.
        Now they'll rely on measurements on an Impress slide

Comment

AMD is working on Blender and Cycles http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1287236 there is next version of OpenCL SDK coming soon so hopefully it will be able to run Cycles. You can see that AMD is very capable at raytracing with LuxRender which is another OpenCL raytracer.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            You're using the fucking wrong tool for the job if your spreadsheet is that heavy.
            On the one hand, yes. Too complex spreadsheets are probably done in the wrong application.

On the other hand, the gpu is just another (specialized) "processing unit". Why not use it? Imagine a scenario where your system runs on a low power ARM cpu and you have a high power x86 CPU and you would talk about "a spreadsheet so heavy it needs the high power CPU". No, it's just another processing unit and there's nothing wrong with using it.

I mean, why aren't GPUs used generally?
            - Restrictions with general purpose code: Spreadsheets may even be pretty good in that you often have to make the same calculation, only with different values from different cells many times at once.
            - Slow transferring of data from memory/cpu to GPU and back - that's exactly what they are solving with their unified memory model and perhaps they do this spreadsheet thing as a demo how well it works?

Disclaimer: I haven't read much about the topic yet.

Comment

well im not say libreoffice is a terrific scenario for OpenCL but certainly is a good start point compared to some monster like cycles renderer which is a very lean and nice piece of software but many scales of magnitude more complex.

either way is good to see AMD starting to collaborate more deeply in this area.

as another news x264 git is pushing a lot of OpenCL code lately, so it won't be long before the can encode with GPU assistance

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
                No, you are wrong. Search the Internet and read about it, there's a lot written there.
                Blender not choose CUDA over OpenCL. Just CUDA works, and there are problems with OpenCL. In fact, you can use OpenCL with Intel and nVidia in Cycles. With ATI too, but there are problems.
                Blender needs AMD work with them to achieve a good performance in Cycles using OpenCL.
                Cycles works pretty well with OpenCL with Nvidia and intel, with amd only works if you disabled almost everything in the render, the performance is not the problem is the impossibility to compile it.

The issue is exactly what log0 says the Amd compiler inlines everything till it gets out of memory, so no complex kernels are able to compile with Amd opencl compiler, vray has a very basic version running with amd opencl but if you want the full version you must use Nvidia too.

Luxrender actually works but they cant add new features cause this problem too, there are more programs not only render engines with this problem.

OpenCL version of blender Cycles is working with nvidia and intel since mid 2011 but amd still cant compile it and they're not giving more information about the problem now.

You don't need a lot of complexity to get the out of memory bug btw so probably this could discourage other companies to use opencl cause the lack of concern shown by amd in solving this.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                  AMD is working on Blender and Cycles http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1287236 there is next version of OpenCL SDK coming soon so hopefully it will be able to run Cycles. You can see that AMD is very capable at raytracing with LuxRender which is another OpenCL raytracer.
                  That BS is 2+ years, that forum is some recently (~ 1 year ago?) absolutely unrelated to AMD outsource company that trying to save AMD face. Best that they can do is trying to reproduce bugs on local (albania? india? who care, nothing wrong with that ppl but it NOT AMD stuff) computer and promise that "we will contact competent team later". Bledner core developers have direct communication with real core driver team all that 2+years, and regularly get closed to public pre-beta Catalysts, etc, promises, endless "next driver will fix our compiler misery" again and again and again. Last fall, thay completely give up. https://twitter.com/tonroosendaal/st...17905204953088 I wonder, how incompetend that forum guys that continue to try look good, with full knowledge that compiler willl not be fixed.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...c-cards-owners if anyone interested in that shame. i must stay read only on that topic , but sorry cannot resist to see another "wait next month ot two" excure of compiler that blow on legal corect OpenCL code 2+ years.

Comment

@Sdar, I meant to say: "there are problems with OpenCL <on ATI>" as in the following sentence is understood.
                    Regarding the performance you're right, what I wanted to point out is that AMD should work together or at least have more communication with the Blender team, as they want to do with LibreOffice.
                    Last edited by YAFU; 04 July 2013, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      And yet Blender can only be run well enough on a small set of AMD APUs anyway. LibreOffice runs on all of them.

Now they'll rely on measurements on an Impress slide
                      Well played, sir.

Comment

Working...
                      X