Intel X.Org Driver Gets Hand-Tuning For SSE4, AVX2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, talking about Larrabee. Of course.

My understanding is that "top managers suddenly came and killed the project".
    Ie, it is same way like Elop speech, but without calling own product "Sh!t".

Because, what Elop called such, was NOT "Sh!t", but in fact(!) was "Good".

... or you could formulate it as: Managers removed it, claiming it _were_ "sh!t"
    But very own tests proved it was very good and scaling. I have no idea what Intel managers were thinking.

Edit: Original true motivations, I can think of, were two("or" or "and"):
    * bribe from nvidia (why not?)
    * antitrust probability

Edit2:
    now, the bribe should be already split and spend (if any)
    and every manufacturer (amd, nvidia) has access to own CPU in more or less form.

So why not?
    Last edited by brosis; 26 February 2013, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I do wonder if writing code with a view to it being easy to autovectorise would be better use of time http://locklessinc.com/articles/vectorize/

Originally posted by brosis View Post
      Damn, guys, just design a freaking discrete GPU, please! :/
      xeon phi could probably run llvmpipe pretty fast.

Comment

Damn, guys, just design a freaking discrete GPU, please! :/

I'd rather have the pretty good performance and lower power needs of the current igpu, at least as an option.
        What I'm really curious about is the next gen graphics core of either broadwell or skylake. Are they going to going to try to move even closer to the mid-end discrete cards, or will they keep their relative performance and try to make it more power efficient?

Comment

Yes, talking about Larrabee. Of course.

My understanding is that "top managers suddenly came and killed the project".
          Ie, it is same way like Elop speech, but without calling own product "Sh!t".

Because, what Elop called such, was NOT "Sh!t", but in fact(!) was "Good".

... or you could formulate it as: Managers removed it, claiming it _were_ "sh!t"
          But very own tests proved it was very good and scaling. I have no idea what Intel managers were thinking.

Edit: Original true motivations, I can think of, were two("or" or "and"):
          * bribe from nvidia (why not?)
          * antitrust probability

Edit2:
          now, the bribe should be already split and spend (if any)
          and every manufacturer (amd, nvidia) has access to own CPU in more or less form.

So why not?
          1)Nvidia doesn't have the money to bribe Intel (Nvidia is a smaller company than Red Hat, and, at an absolute minimum, they'd have to cover the vast development costs of larabee), 2)this shouldn't apply since Intel would be moving into a domain they currently are not dominant in.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            1)Nvidia doesn't have the money to bribe Intel (Nvidia is a smaller company than Red Hat, and, at an absolute minimum, they'd have to cover the vast development costs of larabee), 2)this shouldn't apply since Intel would be moving into a domain they currently are not dominant in.
            1. Hint: Bribes per definition are private gifts between two "entities".
            2. Hint: Intel already had many times antitrust, so why not. Back then it was crystal clear: amd, ti, cyrix, intel - CPUs; nvidia, ati, matrox, (+small bunch) - GPUs.
            After AMD took ATI, and Nvidia now went direction ARM (and Cyrix is gone), there is nothing preventing Intel to attack discrete market with nice opensource solutions. That WORK.

Comment

1. Hint: Bribes per definition are private gifts between two "entities".
              2. Hint: Intel already had many times antitrust, so why not. Back then it was crystal clear: amd, ti, cyrix, intel - CPUs; nvidia, ati, matrox, (+small bunch) - GPUs.
              After AMD took ATI, and Nvidia now went direction ARM (and Cyrix is gone), there is nothing preventing Intel to attack discrete market with nice opensource solutions. That WORK.

Given your claim above that managers made the decision to scrap a many hundred million dollar project I assume you think something nefarious occurred? While I certainly won't claim it never happens you are talking about fairly high level people(vice president level I'd imagine) and they would be risking the ruination of their lives of it came out (and it likely would). For these kinds of people it just isn't worth it (they're not wall Street bankers, for one).
              As for two, you might want to revisit your reasoning. The cars against the others, should say, were clear cut, this would be anything but that.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                Given your claim above that managers made the decision to scrap a many hundred million dollar project I assume you think something nefarious occurred? While I certainly won't claim it never happens you are talking about fairly high level people(vice president level I'd imagine) and they would be risking the ruination of their lives of it came out (and it likely would). For these kinds of people it just isn't worth it (they're not wall Street bankers, for one).
                As for two, you might want to revisit your reasoning. The cars against the others, should say, were clear cut, this would be anything but that.
                Well, I am not Intel manager to know about (1) and not an Intel manager to decide about (2), but humans sure love fast driving and naked women sometimes. So why the hell not?

Comment

After a whole bunch of reading about it... I've come to the conclusion that the reason it got scrapped is becuase it would have been near impossible to get good yeilds on the fabrication process... It would have been damn near impossible to manufacture at a decent price. It would have cost them a fortune to mass produce that they wouldnt be able to recover except at the highest ASP. They were pulling 440w and performing on par with radeon 2000 class hardware.... So they werent going to get the highest ASP anyways... It was going to lose money regardless of how successful it might have been, and even if it would have been successful at all with that much power draw and that low of performance.

As far as I know they do offer it to HPC customers though so I don't think the project is completely dead.

Comment

Larrabee is pretty similar to i740 in a way. Intel trying to do discrete, and in both times doing something different than others, both times the different direction backfiring badly.

(i740 thought AGP would be fast enough to keep textures in system RAM. Guess if it was.)

Comment

Working...
                    X