PulseAudio 2.0 Runs On HURD, Has Jack Detection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
    What do you mean by "true" surround sound? It worked out of the box here.
    I mean that I have an audio stream with 6 Channels and each Channel is being played on exactly the correct speaker. I always had some weird mixing going on but maybe this has gotten better now, since last time I used a surround system is some time ago.

Comment

PA plays 6 channels with no problem.

if your audio is like 2.0 it multiple signal to 2 stereo [copy]

i dont need to use subbass [normal 2x 2.0 cabinets with large speakers 8"]

imo subwoofer is peace of shit compared to large woofers in normal speakers

Comment

PulseAudio still is a crap

I've tried using this on a fresh 12.04 LTS and it is still a crap. Everytime my CPU would get into 100% usage and memory was low I had a huge gaps in sound playback (going as high as 3 seconds). That's just unacceptable so I just purge it and ALSA also. Those were replaced with OSSv4 which doesn't have such huge problems. Unfortunately even with that there are sometimes stream interruptions but nowhere as bad as PulseAudio (only in extreme situations).

There was a news on Phoronix that Chrome/Chromium will have PulseAudio support gues what it won't have it because there is no one to work on it so it's only ALSA. I've tried two games through NaCl Bastion and From Dust both were horrible in regards to sound output when I had PulseAudio and they are good on Open Sound System with ALSA emulation.

Look at the last comment in this bug report: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/is...wner%20Summary

Look at comments 48, 49 and 50: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/is...wner%20Summary

Comment

Originally posted by Bestia View Post
          There was a news on Phoronix that Chrome/Chromium will have PulseAudio support gues what it won't have it because there is no one to work on it so it's only ALSA. I've tried two games through NaCl Bastion and From Dust both were horrible in regards to sound output when I had PulseAudio and they are good on Open Sound System with ALSA emulation.
          PulseAudio is the best thing happened to Linux regarding sound.

What would you rather have, everyone using ALSA or OSS and only having one sound application able to run at once? That is clearly unprofessional.

Most whiners about PulseAudio are those that have badly setup operating systems or messy settings. You do need to force all your applications to use PulseAudio instead of ALSA, and those that don't give you the option, then uninstall those. You do need to configure PulseAudio too, and that means setting channels and volumes.

What I would like more power in is PulseAudio virtual channels. Coders need to give users options to allow for better mixing of channels.

Comment

alternate sample rates
            What is this and why should I care? What is it good for?

jack detection
            This means if you plug in your headphones then audio stops coming from the speakers and start coming from the headphones.
            If you unplug your headphones, then audio resumes from the speakers.

echo cancellation
            This means you can record better with a microphone, and it will cancel the echo.

virtual surround module

Xen para-virtualized audio-sink

fixed HURD support
            This means PulseAudio now supports the GNU Hurd operating system kernel.

A2DP decoder quality improvements
            This means something about Bluetooth improved.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
              What would you rather have, everyone using ALSA or OSS and only having one sound application able to run at once? That is clearly unprofessional.

Most whiners about PulseAudio are those that have badly setup operating systems or messy settings. You do need to force all your applications to use PulseAudio instead of ALSA, and those that don't give you the option, then uninstall those. You do need to configure PulseAudio too, and that means setting channels and volumes.
              You do realise that OSSv4 can play sound from multiple programs simultaneously and has per app volume control. Configuration of programs won't change any of the problems I've mentioned.

Wine is another aspect of where PulseAudio just plain obviously suck. I've used the packages from Wine Ubuntu PPA and in winecfg it appeared as winepulse is in use (and winepulse.drv is installed).

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
                How did you accomplish this? By that I mean are you routing ALL your audio from your machine, (system sounds, games, browser, etc...) through VLC? It sounds interesting and I'd like to know more.
                It's not that hard. It's one of the basic features of KDE?s Phonon. Phonon is just a simple API wrapper for playback engines (not a sound server as some people mistake Phonon to be). All system sounds, music or videos are played through that.
                Obviously I have the option to stack as many layers as I want. I could use PA. I could also use GStreamer, then additionally stack additional GStreamer plugins to get basic media playback

As for the browser, I use Firefox with the ViewTube Greasemonkey script which can use VLC?s Mozilla plugin for YouTube and other video sites (or any other plugin ? mplayer or whatever one likes?).

Games: I don't play games on Linux. I have my gaming consoles for that.

Comment

You do realise that OSSv4 can play sound from multiple programs simultaneously and has per app volume control. Configuration of programs won't change any of the problems I've mentioned.
                  What, is this a modern feature? Is OSS's need for kernel OSS drivers a problem?

Wine is another aspect of where PulseAudio just plain obviously suck. I've used the packages from Wine Ubuntu PPA and in winecfg it appeared as winepulse is in use (and winepulse.drv is installed).
                  Yeah that's one gripe I do have, but that's Wine's fault. They dropped PulseAudio support and reverted back to ALSA. Like you alude to, you can get a build from Launchpad.net for a PA enabled version.

In my opinion, the ultimate user goal/wants should be:
                  * multiple applications playing sound at once
                  * channel mixing, example recording and playing from different channels, or merged ones
                  * sound sync'ed properly
                  * speed of sound layer
                  * codec integration
                  * hardware use priority
                  * Coders supporting PA for OS and applications, giving power to the users. Example, I'm yet to see virtual channel manipulation in Ubuntu/Kubuntu sound panels or sound recording software.
                  Last edited by e8hffff; 12 May 2012, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                    What, is this a modern feature? Is OSS's need for kernel OSS drivers a problem?
                    I think you are confusing OSSv3 which has been disabled or removed from Linux Kernel with OSSv4 which builds modules with DKMS.

Wine developers never wanted to have PulseAudio. They only consider ALSA and OSS. Winepulse is being worked on by Maarten Lankhorst http://repo.or.cz/w/wine/multimedia.git

Comment

I think you are confusing OSSv3 which has been disabled or removed from Linux Kernel with OSSv4 which builds modules with DKMS.

Wine developers never wanted to have PulseAudio. They only consider ALSA and OSS. Winepulse is being worked on by Maarten Lankhorst http://repo.or.cz/w/wine/multimedia.git
                      OK. My Wine locks onto ALSA using a winealsa.drv, other words I no longer get an option to select OSS.

Why is PulseAudio chosen over OSS for Ubuntu-Kubuntu?

What is the PulseAudio vs OSS4 difference?

Comment

Working...
                      X