Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People incorrectly assume that AMD drivers suck. They don't.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    Even nVidia employees confirm that can not be TearFree
    False.

Quoting ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...ausupport.html:
    The overlay path is guaranteed never to tear, whereas the blit method is classed as "best effort".

Comment

I'll fix quote of my message for you:
      Originally posted by Gusar View Post
      Even TearFree video playback under compositing environment with nVidia proprietary drivers? Not likely. Even nVidia employees confirm that can not be TearFree
      False.
      You are fail:
      The overlay path is guaranteed never to tear, whereas the blit method is classed as "best effort".
      The following conditions or system configurations will prevent usage of the overlay path:
      • Overlay hardware already in use, e.g. by another VDPAU, GL, or X11 application, or by SDI output.
      • Desktop rotation enabled on the given X screen.
      • The presentation target window is redirected, due to a compositing manager actively running.
      • The environment variable VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY is set to a string representation of a non-zero integer.
      • The driver determines that the performance requirements of overlay usage cannot be met by the current hardware configuration.
      Now confirmed not by nVidia employees, but by nVidia properietary driver documentation. Thank you for this link.

Comment

Err, dude... You said tear-free can not be. But the documentation says "best effort". That doesn't mean it can't be, it just means there's no guarantee. No guarantee != can not be. No guarantee = you might be tear-free, but you might not.

So the fail is 100% you.

Comment

Err, dude... You said tear-free can not be. But the documentation says "best effort". That doesn't mean it can't be, it just means there's no guarantee. No guarantee != can not be. No guarantee = you might be tear-free, but you might not.
          I have enough GeForce's and I done enough testing to say "it can not be" (under compositing environment).

Comment

I have enough GeForce's and I done enough testing to say "it can not be" (under compositing environment).
            You also say hardware video decoding doesn't work on Ironlake, but I have no problem whatsoever with that. So what you say does not have much (if any) merit.

Besides, the discussion was that the Nvidia devs supposedly said tear-free video in a composited environment can not be. Which is false.
            Last edited by Gusar; 29 July 2012, 09:46 AM.

Comment

You also say hardware video decoding doesn't work on Ironlake, but I have no problem whatsoever with that.
              You never test it with BD-Remux as I remember.
              Besides, the discussion was that the Nvidia devs supposedly said tear-free video in a composited environment can not be. Which is false.
              Sure, they never say "our drivers in fact sucks here", instead they said "our driver maybe suck here".

Comment

You never test it with BD-Remux as I remember.
                I tested 1080p, I mentioned that on some other thread some time later. It wasn't from a Blu-ray though. So if you're still not satisfied, link to a sample. I'm not going to download 40GB of stuff, but if you provide a smaller sample of a Blu-ray video, I'll run it.

Sure, they never say "our drivers in fact sucks here", instead they said "our driver maybe suck here".
                Dude, why can't you just accept that your initial statement was false, and that someone in fact doesn't have tearing, instead of writing this nonsense? It doesn't help your credibility, it's nothing more than trolling.

Comment

I'm not going to download 40GB of stuff, but if you provide a smaller sample of a Blu-ray video, I'll run it.
                  I doesn't check this one, but you may try to google for "Pole to Pole mkv".
                  Dude, why can't you just accept that your initial statement was false, and that someone in fact doesn't have tearing
                  Because different people may notice tearing, or may doesn't notice it. If someone doesn't see tearing (and need special samples that expose issue) that doesn't mean there is no tearing.

You know, it's like high-frequency squeak (I hope it's right English term) defect in audio stream, or incorrect color space conversion in video - most of people doesn't notice such problems, but it doesn't make such problems doesn't exist.
                  Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 29 July 2012, 10:53 AM.

Comment

There are some arguments that simply aren't worth having. All that one needs to do to demonstrate the current driver conundrum is:

1: Install Ubuntu
                    2: Install a humble bundle
                    3: Run each game in the bundle.

I assure you that regardless of manufacturer, model, and OSS/BLOB, you will find several issues. Missing resolutions, tearing, crashing, missing/mangled textures, lock on exit, difficulty entering/leaving fullscreen, and performance issues are just the beginning.

This often leaves the user with the impression that "nothing fucking works", and tends to lead to everyone believing that the drivers suck. We understand that the issue could be caused by our choice of WM, by the driver, by the game itself, or by one of the underlying libraries (SDL). One great example is that my Super-duper RAT7 mouse was causing performance issues due to Compiz syncing with the mouse's high sample rate. Lowering my mouse sample rate fixed my OGL performance issue.

It is just easier to blame the driver since we do not really have a first tier support system. We can file bugs with Canonical, but the response typically falls far short of anything resembling a resolution.

On the other hand, graphics card drivers (both OSS and Blob) fall far short of their potential in terms of performance, features, and stability. How anyone could state the contrary with a straight face really shakes my confidence in this corner of the linux ecosystem. There will never be a linux desktop until these perception issues are resolved, especially considering someone can simply go and purchase a Mac and see what a Desktop should be.

What would make this a great post is if I actually had a solution for any of the issues.

F

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
                      especially considering someone can simply go and purchase a Mac and see what a Desktop should be.
                      Try to search for latest news about upgrade 10.7 to 10.8. A lot of software doesn't work anymore, even some OS functions stop working. Oh, by the way: simple page scrolling in web-browser on latest MacBook with Retina give FPS below 30. I doesn't think this is what a Desktop should be.

Comment

Working...
                      X