Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transforming GNOME Into A Linux-Only Project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly XFCE is on the same boat. Fortunately only automount is the only thing, that doesn't work in 4.8, yet. I hope they don't screw it up even more.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what drugs are getting passed around in GNOME? Because they must be pretty good for them to do the things they've done lately, from GNOME 3 to even thinking about dropping support for other Unix-like kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
        so systemd is better than upstart?
        Yes. It's a much better design.

Linux is not an OS?
        A kernel does not a operating system make.

Linux is the operating system -- GNOME is just UI.
        Gnome is not just a UI.

It's a desktop environment. It provides application APIs, development interfaces, tools, inter process communication, hardware management, application launchers, file managers, editors, configuration management, and a whole host of other stuff necessary to be a full fledged desktop operating system.

i hope all BSD people and solaris people join the KDE party
        Most BSD people don't even use BSD for a desktop OS. They use Windows or OS X and scoff at Linux people for trying to make a desktop.

And Solaris is a becoming rapidly obsolete, OpenSolaris is dead, and is supported by a company that is not only a huge asshole, but sells far more software to run on Linux then Solaris.

Comment

Originally posted by vongrippen View Post
          Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what drugs are getting passed around in GNOME? Because they must be pretty good for them to do the things they've done lately, from GNOME 3 to even thinking about dropping support for other Unix-like kernels.
          Pretty wasted right now myself, but i still can't understand their decisions by a long shot, so they must be a lot stronger then mine...

Comment

Oh my god, surprise. The leading Linux distributor wants to see the competition damaged. Who would've thought?

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
              Djeez, Gnome should concern themselves with what api's not implementations..
              They do. However, if those APIs don't exist, they need to invent them - that's where projects like HAL and ConsoleKit and PolKit have come from. And if you invent APIs, you need to implement them, and from past experience, implementations for BSD (or anything else really) tend to be several years behind what's being done on Linux...

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                Most BSD people don't even use BSD for a desktop OS. They use Windows or OS X and scoff at Linux people for trying to make a desktop.

And Solaris is a becoming rapidly obsolete, OpenSolaris is dead, and is supported by a company that is not only a huge asshole, but sells far more software to run on Linux then Solaris.
                I disagree. I used it for a while but can't use it right now as my workstation doubles as my desktop and my workstation has to run windows for my work stuff. I'd take a FreeBSD desktop over a Linux one any day (RHEBSD amirite).

I do agree with Solaris tho. It's an interesting OS but it's not probable to go anywhere. Hopefully illumos or w/e they forked it as goes somewhere.

Comment

It's a bit similar to the KMS situation. And I think we're going to see more of this in the future. The *BSD people simply do not have the resources to keep up. When the time comes that they stand in the way of progress and become a burden, it's time to say goodbye

Well, the code is still open source so they can still port systemd or patch out the dependencies or whatever. More interesting is to see how Canonical is going to react to this.

Comment

he only said that the future of gnome is as a linux based os...
                    and i think its a great idea to make a gnome dist
                    i will support it if gnome wants to do it, gnome have matured well over the years

so in 2014 or something i think it would be awesome with a gnome dist running wayland

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                      It's a bit similar to the KMS situation. And I think we're going to see more of this in the future. The *BSD people simply do not have the resources to keep up. When the time comes that they stand in the way of progress and become a burden, it's time to say goodbye

Well, the code is still open source so they can still port systemd or patch out the dependencies or whatever.
                      Red Hat is actively sabotaging the BSD since quite some time.
                      RH is the driving force in technologies like Wayland and RH is also responsible for relicensing Wayland away from a BSD-friendly MIT license to LGPL.

RH could've opted to release such code under MIT license: It's GPL compatible and the BSD teams could copy chunks of the code to make the new features available under the BSDs more easily.

Thanks to this story I was also made aware that hurting BSDs also means hurting Debian ? probably RH?s biggest Linux contender.

Comment

Working...
                      X