Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualcomm Announces The Snapdragon 800

Phoronix: Qualcomm Announces The Snapdragon 800

Another hardware announcement from the Consumer Electronics Show this week in Las Vegas is Qualcomm announcing the Snapdragon 600 and 800 series processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OpenCL with a decent CPU in a smartphone.... I've been waiting for this for a while.

Now show me a device running Android/Linux with decent battery life, and a screen in the 4.0-4.5" range.

For any smartphone manufacturers that care, I'm looking for the following:
    4.0-4.5" display
    Dual/Quad Cortex A15
    GPU w/ OpenCL and GLES 2/3
    USB Host capability
    micro/mini HDMI out
    micro-SD card expandability, plus 8+GB onboard storage
    Wireless/Bluetooth/GSM+LTE
    Decent Battery life... I usually charge overnight, but it shouldn't be a necessity if I'm not using it constantly.
    non-AMOLED screen (blue dies early)
    high-DPI/resolution
    Android 4.2+
    NFC + Inductive charging are a bonus

The LG Optimus G almost hit all my criteria, but it's a bit large for my taste and I don't believe that it supports CL.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

The LG Optimus G almost hit all my criteria, but it's a bit large for my taste and I don't believe that it supports CL.
      It does. So does Mali T604 by the way, but that's not in smartphones now.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
        OpenCL with a decent CPU in a smartphone.... I've been waiting for this for a while.

Now show me a device running Android/Linux with decent battery life, and a screen in the 4.0-4.5" range.

For any smartphone manufacturers that care, I'm looking for the following:
        4.0-4.5" display
        Dual/Quad Cortex A15
        GPU w/ OpenCL and GLES 2/3
        USB Host capability
        micro/mini HDMI out
        micro-SD card expandability, plus 8+GB onboard storage
        Wireless/Bluetooth/GSM+LTE
        Decent Battery life... I usually charge overnight, but it shouldn't be a necessity if I'm not using it constantly.
        non-AMOLED screen (blue dies early)
        high-DPI/resolution
        Android 4.2+
        NFC + Inductive charging are a bonus

The Adreno 3xx series (optimus G / Nexus4) supports openCL.
        As far as AMOLED goes, however, that is one of the places where you gain massively in battery life.

I just picked up a Samsung Relay, which meets all of your specs except AMOLED and openCL (since it has an Adreno 225 rather than a 3xx), and I can basically skip charging it for TWO nights and still have a little bit of juice when I get home from work on the 3rd day.

Comment

I can basically skip charging it for TWO nights and still have a little bit of juice when I get home from work on the 3rd day.
          Hahaha... And you say that like it's a good thing.

The pathetic battery life of the so called smart phones, how can you stand that?

Comment

Working...
          X