GNOME 3.13.2 Temporarily Depends On Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
    It's not about who writes pieces of code - this is completely irrelevant. It's all about who controls the project as a whole.
    No, it is not. You told us that forking systemd would not be viable because developers would have to work intoi 550k lines of code unknown to them. This is obviously wrong. It doesn't matter at all who leads the fork if the developers still know the code.

Comment

Forks don't happen by magic. First of all, you need people to maintain a project of such scale. Do you keep up with the news? systemd is 550k lines already. It's horribly bloated but even if the first post-fork goal will be (as it should be) trimming all the fat it's still a lot of work. You can't just comment out everything you don't want. And this is especially true in case of systemd because the developers went out of their way to ensure it's a dependency for as much other stuff as possible.
      Systemd already have plenty people to maintain the project including those from GENIVI and majority of distributions. Number of lines is irrelevent because systemd as an umbrella allows developers to disable optional functions they desire depending of the environments i.e. systemd PID without journald.
      About the bloat: http://people.debian.org/~stapelberg...endencies.html

It's extremely easy to get entangled in the systemd cobweb. But getting out is going to be very complicated and very time consuming.
      Scripts used in sysV and its variant OpenRC for basic functionalities on modern systems isn't very time consuming?

Comment

Guys, I don't know why you bother, he brings out the exact same points every time systemd gets a mention, it doesn't matter if they get refuted or not.

He's either trolling or mentally ill.

Comment

It's extremely easy to get entangled in the systemd cobweb. But getting out is going to be very complicated and very time consuming.
          Wait, I thought sysv scripts are so easy and all the stuff systemd does is already available from other software or easy to do in other ways? So by your logic, switching out of systemd should be pretty easy. Or are you now admitting that that systemd offers a lot of features and capabilities that aren't easily available any other way?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            Or are you now admitting that that systemd offers a lot of features and capabilities that aren't easily available any other way?
            It offers tons of bloat and useless crap not available elsewhere, yes. I've never denied that.

Comment

It offers tons of bloat and useless crap not available elsewhere, yes. I've never denied that.
              As I said, trolling or mentally ill.

Comment

So if it is useless, then by definition only groups under the control of Red Hat would be using it, right? Therefore, it shouldn't be an issue porting for anyone besides Red Hat, which you are claiming wouldn't port anyway. So by your logic, it shouldn't matter.

Comment

I almost asked around but googled instead and found these somewhat comforting comments:
                  I didn't know back then, but now I'm relieved. It's win-win for me: when I want or need systemd I can get it almost anywhere, and when I want or need !systemd, I already use Funtoo.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                    So if it is useless, then by definition only groups under the control of Red Hat would be using it, right? Therefore, it shouldn't be an issue porting for anyone besides Red Hat, which you are claiming wouldn't port anyway. So by your logic, it shouldn't matter.
                    It's not my logic. And it's not logic at all. I'm sorry but your post is a mishmash of random sentences that don't make sense - neither on their own nor when put together.

---

Back to topic though: you don't have to try to persuade me. Believe it or not, I tested systemd-based distros and I've found them extremely irritating bordering on unmanageable. So my point of view is based on my own real life experience. It's not going to change just because some fanboys on Phoronix are jumping out of their pants trying to convert everyone to their newfound systemd religion.
                    Last edited by prodigy_; 05 June 2014, 04:10 PM.

Comment

It's not going to change just because some fanboys on Phoronix are jumping out of their pants trying to convert everyone to their newfound systemd religion.
                      So when you make up your mind based on your experiences, that's fine and dandy, but when others come to different conclusions based on theirs they must obviously be fanboys and religious fanatics to boot.

I know you're not stupid based on your input in unrelated threads, but boy do you dig your heels in when someone even mentions systemd. Thus far your answers have pretty much boiled down to "it's too different and I don't like it and there's scary crimson headwear everywhere." Not that it matters, but I for one find systemd quite interesting. It will certainly make my job a bit easier.

Comment

Working...
                      X