Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Python 3.4 Is Now Available With New Features

Phoronix: Python 3.4 Is Now Available With New Features

Python 3.4.0 is now available as the latest major update to the popular programming language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's a while since I looked at Python. Is everyone still ignoring the version 3.x branch in favour of writing 2.x version code because thet can't be bothered to update their code or because of modules that only support 2.x?

When I looked at it I remember wanting to query a Mysql database, but the module only existed for 2.x, and I had no interest in writing for an outgoing version. But it turns out it wasn't outgoing. The old version is still limping on.

I just stick to Perl now.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      It's a while since I looked at Python. Is everyone still ignoring the version 3.x branch in favour of writing 2.x version code because thet can't be bothered to update their code or because of modules that only support 2.x?

When I looked at it I remember wanting to query a Mysql database, but the module only existed for 2.x, and I had no interest in writing for an outgoing version. But it turns out it wasn't outgoing. The old version is still limping on.

I just stick to Perl now.
      It's sadly true, I am writing a Flask based backend and at the moment, 3.x branch of Flask is still WIP. But I am pretty assured that 2.x branch will stay atleast for 4-5 years down the line because of the massive number of libraries that support 2.x exclusively. I recon that the latest bugfix release for Python 2.x was done pretty recently

Comment

Yeah, pretty much, which is unfortunate - Python 3 has some seriously important features, most notably the consistent use of unicode strings internally (Python 2 supported unicode types, but you'd end up doing charset conversions every time you called a library function).

Comment

I use 3.x whenever I can, but inevitably it only gets used for small scripts. Bigger projects that use wxWidgets for example are still stuck at 2.7.

Comment

Originally posted by shaurz View Post
            I use 3.x whenever I can, but inevitably it only gets used for small scripts. Bigger projects that use wxWidgets for example are still stuck at 2.7.
            This is a bit OT: but why don't use pyqt?

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
              This is a bit OT: but why don't use pyqt?
              If only it was that easy! I'm not going to re-write large projects in Qt. And I use it in my day job too on a product with 375,000 lines of Python and 4+ years of investment in the codebase.

Comment

If only it was that easy! I'm not going to re-write large projects in Qt. And I use it in my day job too on a product with 375,000 lines of Python and 4+ years of investment in the codebase.
                Ok this is a large valid point but for new projects?

Comment

This is what keeps me from switching to pyqt as well. It would make some of my work - especially packaging of windows ports - easier and cleaner, but redoing and retesting the (non-trivial) UIs of several pieces of software is just too much of an investment. I will definitely take Qt into consideration the next time we start a new cross-platform project with a desktop application component. For Linux-only software I'll probably be sticking to pygtk simply because I like working with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                    Ok this is a large valid point but for new projects?
                    Yes I guess for new projects it's probably a better option. Qt is probably better then wx in hindsight but at the time there were licensing issues (this was before PySide existed).

Comment

Working...
                    X