Intel Has 20~30 Full-Time Linux Graphics Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
    But where is the open GL support on same level as windows?
    On older chips or current ones? OpenGL features are not a priority on these chips.
    Priorites are proper modesetting, HDMI audio, VA-API acceleration, power management, and those sorts of things. You know, basic functionality that AMD lacks in their open-source driver...

Comment

So how come Intel still won't have the latest version of OpenGL 4.3, when Nvidia and ATI do for many of their cards already - especially when they already have the latest version of DirectX11.1?

I'm sorry but I can't take Intel seriously in graphics until they support OpenGL properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
        So how come Intel still won't have the latest version of OpenGL 4.3, when Nvidia and ATI do for many of their cards already - especially when they already have the latest version of DirectX11.1?

I'm sorry but I can't take Intel seriously in graphics until they support OpenGL properly.
        Intel is THE contributor to MESA opensource OpenGL stack, which is THE most complete OpenGL stack at this time.
        So, I am sorry, but I can't take your comment seriously.

Comment

But it is still too slow on Linux compared to Win.

Comment

Kudos to Intel for its effort!

Congrats to Intel for its OTC initiative. Hope, someday, NVidia and AMD will follow its example!
            One thing we have to had in mind is that intel never were a great Gpu maker (Larrabe was a failure) so it was more than expected that it will catchup with OpenGL compliance a little late than the others makers.
            But, as far as I know, their driver is very good and stable on linux, and the fact that every new feature is immediatelly avalilable to the community is a role model.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
              Would be nice. But what would be even better would be if game devs would actually learn to code. Now their sucky code does
              definetly not need OpenGL 4.3.
              +1

It almost makes me cry every time I run Xonotic on almost maxed details while SS3: BFE with everything on low runs barely 25 fps on the same Intel 4000 GPU...

Comment

AMD bought ATI so they have a graphics company and video/graphics tech. already but still only employ 5 developers compared to Intel's 30?

How many Nouveau devs are there?

Comment

Noveau has just one from Red Hat

Comment

1) AMD head count is a bit unfair, as Michael counted kernel devs employed by Intel, but not those employed by AMD.
                    2) Intel have best FLOSS drivers.
                    3) Intel did not had good GPU's up until very recently.
                    4) Intel do have nice GPU's now, and will have better one soon.
                    5) Intel do not share GPU drivers code between Win and Lin (BTW Intel did you checked if you can reuse GLSL compiers?). Win driver is not FLOSS.
                    6) For Intel Win is bigger market than Lin for "desktop" GPU's, hence bigger team, and better driver.
                    7) For Intel Lin is important market (haven't you read that they want to expand Lin team?)
                    8) For Intel Lin in embedded can be nice way to enter that market. More support for Linux is granted.
                    9) YOU DO NOT WRITE GOOD GPU DRIVER OVER NIGHT.

Do not have Intel GPU, but I do like what they do, and they way they do it. And I will probably switch to Intel if/when their hw is able to handle OGL specs on pair with AMD/Nvidia offerings.

Nice job Intel.

PS I propose to count Marek as another 5 AMD employes

Comment

Still waiting for va-api support on my G45... At one time it almost worked, now it's dead, go figure. (If anyone in the know is reading this : what happened there?)
                      It's nice that they contribute to the mesa stack, it would be even nicer if they played ball with everyone else, thus being able to share openCL en other code in the future. It paid off for the radeon and nouveau drivers...

which is THE most complete OpenGL stack at this time
                      No it isn't. mesa is far from complete, the binary drivers have more complete stacks than is mesa.

Comment

Working...
                      X