Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 2.30 Released; Farewell To GNOME 2.xx

Phoronix: GNOME 2.30 Released; Farewell To GNOME 2.xx

The GNOME community is very excited today as they have just released version 2.30 of the GNOME Desktop. Besides being another six-month upgrade to this popular Linux desktop that brings evolutionary upgrades, GNOME 2.30 was originally going to become GNOME 3.0, but that was pushed back by six months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Screenshots? Or does this look exactly like the previous 100 releases of GNOME?

Comment

Not really. I'm actually impressed, because :

Nautilus features a number of user interface changes including a new split view mode

Split View ? Well I know KDE had that LONG time ago, nevertheless it's still nice that gnome will also have it.

Comment

Just trollin'...

Nah, Gnome 2.30 looks like Windows NT 4 with splashes from Mac OS 9. It's an improvement over the previous Windows 98 look, that's for sure.

Still, kinda surprised this project isn't dead yet. I sense Microsoft's hand at work here, trying to destroy Linux through Novell (or something, not so sure about current tinfoil-hat theories in circulation.)

Any word on Evolution updates? (Not looking for anything specific, Evolution works more or less great!)

Comment

Are there any plans of providing a way for Gtk apps to not look like ass on KDE? Like the native Gtk look of Qt apps when ran under Gnome?

Comment

Originally posted by MiUNX View Post
            Screenshots? Or does this look exactly like the previous 100 releases of GNOME?

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
              That's Ubuntu. Ubuntu has a custom look and does not represent how default GNOME looks.

Comment

Judging from the screenshot, they did a nice job with the window decorations, but the widget style is still awful. At least there are alternative styles available.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Are there any plans of providing a way for Gtk apps to not look like ass on KDE? Like the native Gtk look of Qt apps when ran under Gnome?
                  Well, you can tell KDE to make GTK+ apps use the QtCurve style. That will make them fit in pretty well. Granted, it might make some applications crash (at least on Ubuntu), but at least they will look pretty while doing so. Clearlooks doesn't fit in as well, but it doesn't make anything crash, either.

The real solution, though, is to come up with some sort of common widget theme standard so that GTK+ and Qt/KDE apps can use the same theme with ease. I have heard people talk about such things, but I have never seen anything actually happen.

Comment

GNOME still has broken icon placement?
                    This is the top-most reason why I can't stand to use GNOME as desktop. It throws icons all over the place with different sizes etc.
                    I like to use various GTK/GNOME apps (GIMP for example), though.

Comment

Working...
                    X