4500MHD: Hardware-Accelerated Video Decoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4500MHD: Hardware-Accelerated Video Decoding

Is there anyway to do hardware-accelerated video decoding on the GMA 4500MHD? I've got Linux 2.6.29, X Server 1.6.2, and DDX driver 2.8.0.

There's some initial support for MPEG2 decoding, see here for more information: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...st/003708.html

And for H264 and VC1, they plan to support it soon: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...st/003721.html

Comment

I really wish some of these cards would support hardware-accelerated decoding of Theora and/or huffyuv, rather than just patent-encumbered formats such as h.264 and MPEG-2...

Comment

Originally posted by TwistedLincoln View Post
        I really wish some of these cards would support hardware-accelerated decoding of Theora and/or huffyuv, rather than just patent-encumbered formats such as h.264 and MPEG-2...
        The popular formats take priority. No one watches movies in 1080p Ogg Theora.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          The popular formats take priority. No one watches movies in 1080p Ogg Theora.
          I do...

While I understand the most popular formats will always take precedence, I still wish they'd add support for Free codecs in addition to the non-free ones.

Comment

While I understand the most popular formats will always take precedence, I still wish they'd add support for Free codecs in addition to the non-free ones.
            Assuming there's manpower, why wouldn't they do that?

Comment

I do...

They should be able to leverage VA API, XvBA or VDPAU's hardware and driver/software VLD/VLC capability and iDCT for Theora with out major work. But I would suspect it's mainly codec work that has to be done. Most of the bits should already be there. Not sure how different VLD/VLC or iDCT is for Theora though. Obviously there exists hardware acceleration for later On2 Codecs so it should be able to be done even on Theora with some work. Theora would also have none warez-use so it would be interesting to see such a implementation come true.

Comment

Originally posted by Penti View Post
                Theora would also have none warez-use so it would be interesting to see such a implementation come true.
                That's a bold claim and will likely be rendered void altogether if Ubuntu ever manages to lure the Windows users interested in free software to Linux side.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  That's a bold claim and will likely be rendered void altogether if Ubuntu ever manages to lure the Windows users interested in free software to Linux side.
                  Well even the scene aren't using Linux for there encoding platforms. And I don't see why them would switch to a free format. Ubuntu will hardly change anything my first distros where redhat and slackware and I still remember all the pain to get everything working. Seeing how they fail with there dell deals they are not the one who will change anything consumer linux is a long way to go, joe blow warez will hardly use it, only those who can figure out things by themselves, you can't even buy the dell netbooks with Ubuntu here in Sweden.

Comment

Originally posted by Penti View Post
                    joe blow warez will hardly use it
                    We can hope. Maybe there should be intentional GUI-obfuscation in window managers to help with this?

Comment

Working...
                    X