ATI Evergreen 3D Code May Soon Go Into Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Sounds like excessively untrivial work. I suspect you have a long time of waiting ahead of you. I'm not also sure whether it's possible to do that level of reverse-engineering without the risk of damaging the cards in the process.
    You think there is some kill-switch circuitry? Or do you imply physicaly dissasembling the card and putting it under an electronic microscope?

Comment

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      Duh, that's news to you? Of course the current system is rotten. I suppose one of the major reason no one cares is that it on average works.
      Works? You think that MS on average *works*?

Let me tell you something about MS and "works"....
      During my investigation into the question of why my mainboard IGP's DP port wouldn't output a DVI signal, one of the questions that came up with whether or not the blob driver under windoze would do that. Well I've *NEVER* had no choice but to give up in Linux, but the thing JUST WOULDN'T run MS. Works *GREAT* in Linux -- most stable board I've ever had thanks to the AMD chipset (previous boards all NV/SIS/VIA/whatever -- unstable flaky though they were). Not MS. Not happening. Wasted about 5 hours on that failed experiment and was unable to complete the experiment.

So on average, even a computer engineer (that's me) stands a good chance of not being able to convince MS garbage to actually work. That trash can ROT.

** brings a new perspective to the sticker that says "designed for MS".... My machine won't run MS -- I need a sticker that says "designed for not-MS" with a skull and crossbone.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        You think there is some kill-switch circuitry? Or do you imply physicaly dissasembling the card and putting it under an electronic microscope?
        I'm talking of stuff like accidentally flashing it with garbage while trying to figure out which register does what. I suppose it's still possible to recover them even then though, just not very fun to.

Comment

• So any news on Evergreen-accel branch getting merged into master?

Comment

• I don't know, maybe ask again about 9 days ago?

Comment

• Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
              I don't know, maybe ask again about 9 days ago?

you don't have to be a smartass about it! lol thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                I don't know, maybe ask again about 9 days ago?
                Well, that's done. Bring on the islands cards!

Comment

• Niche Viewpoints

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  o yes very nice :-) many people like me don't touch an windows system again just because of the DRM shit in Vista/7

and yes microsoft windows is broken by design '.dll security hole' shows the true!
                  Qadarium, people in your position are a minority, and a very small minority. For the majority (in fact, the vast majority of folks running Linux), Windows may not be liked, or their first choice, but they don't go about hating it with the fervor of a jihadist.

Windows is a *compromise design*; pretty much any design which has to support as wide a hardware base as Windows does in practice is going to be a compromise. (And is Linux - any distribution - clean of security holes? Absolutely not, and you know that.) Linux is also a compromise - in fact, if anything, it's more of a compromise than Windows, as only parts of the common core are identical (which is why there are endless niche distributions, forks, etc.) That very freedom to do things differently than Windows is part of the reason why DRM (which is a security measure related to IP) is such a nightmare on Linux (and why most distributions don't install what players support DRM playback - they are justifiably worried about discovery of DRM exploits). Except for the most DRM-ridden formats, Windows and Linux (when fully installed) treat average DRM-protected content (DVDs and MP3s) no differently (both require third-party software, that is easily available, and it's usually free). BD-ROM content, on the other hand, is considered by its authors to be the most valuable, and thus gets the highest level of protection. (Consider bank vaults - not all protect their contents equally. As an engineer, you should at least be familiar with that sort of cencept, as it's not even remotely unique to security, though it is a linchpin of it.) If you are unable, for any reason, to approach security from the content-owner's POV, may be you are not philosophically cut out for engineering. (Your beef with DRM seems very much to be on philosophical, not engineering, grounds.)

Comment

• Originally posted by PGHammer View Post
                    Qadarium, people in your position are a minority, and a very small minority. For the majority (in fact, the vast majority of folks running Linux), Windows may not be liked, or their first choice, but they don't go about hating it with the fervor of a jihadist.

Windows is a *compromise design*; pretty much any design which has to support as wide a hardware base as Windows does in practice is going to be a compromise. (And is Linux - any distribution - clean of security holes? Absolutely not, and you know that.) Linux is also a compromise - in fact, if anything, it's more of a compromise than Windows, as only parts of the common core are identical (which is why there are endless niche distributions, forks, etc.) That very freedom to do things differently than Windows is part of the reason why DRM (which is a security measure related to IP) is such a nightmare on Linux (and why most distributions don't install what players support DRM playback - they are justifiably worried about discovery of DRM exploits). Except for the most DRM-ridden formats, Windows and Linux (when fully installed) treat average DRM-protected content (DVDs and MP3s) no differently (both require third-party software, that is easily available, and it's usually free). BD-ROM content, on the other hand, is considered by its authors to be the most valuable, and thus gets the highest level of protection. (Consider bank vaults - not all protect their contents equally. As an engineer, you should at least be familiar with that sort of cencept, as it's not even remotely unique to security, though it is a linchpin of it.) If you are unable, for any reason, to approach security from the content-owner's POV, may be you are not philosophically cut out for engineering. (Your beef with DRM seems very much to be on philosophical, not engineering, grounds.)
                    1) From a philosophical point of view, if I buy content, I become the OWNER of that content and should therefore be able to use it as I see fit. After all, I'm paying for it.

2) From a lighter philosophical point of view, if you are going to sell content that is restricted by DRM, you should be OBLIGATED to make sure that that content is USABLE on *whatever* equipment the customer happens to be using.

3) From a technical point of view, #2 would be solved by moving the video decode junk into the DISPLAY unit and letting the DRM-infested nonsense just pipe dumbly through the host system. You can let the DRIVE and DISPLAY negotiate with each other for a secure channel without having to go all nuts with protected pathways.

Comment

• Originally posted by PGHammer View Post

Then I belong to the same minority.

I would like you to think for a moment,
                      Would M$ shove this DRM shit up out asses, if they were not so dominant ?

I buy something, but I do not own it ?

Like audio cd's, I cant play on my pc, you find this normal ?

Comment

Working...
                      X