No announcement yet.

Mozilla To Begin Pushing Ads To The New Tabs Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ads belong on websites, not in software. I will not be upgrading to a version of Firefox that has adware in it. I am currently using version 26.0 and that's likely to be the last version I use. I'll continue using this version from now until the end of time, even though using an old version of a web browser isn't safe.

The best way for you to make money, in my opinion, is to ask for donations.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomyne View Post
      Ads belong on websites, not in software.
      -1 dont want ads in my websites either

+1 for oss and content

wow - i hadn't expected such a ok level in a discussion about capitalism in a tech forum
      I think communism is a struggle against suppression in every aspect of human living. It is about trying to satisfy as much needs as possible of every single person.

Maybe a communistic aproach (with lots of assumtions and simplification of course):
      What is the desire?
      A - Read about the newest hardware and open source software.
      M - Work less. Have a stable material basis of existence.

Expectatioin of how to get there?
      A - open phoronix page and dont get disturbed by ads
      M - Work hard to setup a well-known and respected company to earn money with it

Problems?
      Noone knows anything personal about each other. Personal as
      - How do you live?
      - What is your economical base? (Do you have to work? How long? How hard? Money in a bank? Gonna get a rent?)
      - Do you feel having a safe future?
      - Do you expereance discrimination?
      Different understanding of /capitalism/ and /communism/
      Capitalism or -how we all relate to each other economically- is fucked up:
      We all have to deal with capitalism. Capitalism has ownership as its base. Ownership should prevent us to just take what we want. In Capitalism ownership can change, if both parties agree in a "free" deal. Enforce exchange otherwise (steal, give, ...) is not capitalistic itself, but reflects ownership as well. Money is the way to make deals easy. The production of almost everything happens in capitalistic conditions (exchange of property is the dominat form like bying food). Even further: Most things are only produced cause they promise to bring profit. If a product cant be sold for a certain profit noone produces it, no matter if people dye. On the otherhand: some poducts that (can) kill people bring high profits. Capitalism dont care about people, if they connot pay. You say production in captialism is to satisfy our needs? Then why do people dye of starvation while mankind is able to produce microelectronics? Why do people have no house or are thrown in prison cause they used public transport without ticket? Why do so many people fatasize about good free markets and bad banks?

Solution?
      Well, I dont think we can even have the same idea of what capitalism is and why it is bad in this thread. Why the US is not evil and neither banks are. In some cases they have not many options if they behave according to capitalistic roules.

But what about trying a transparent way of crowdfunding? M tells how much money he needs from the community for not having any ads on the page - lets say for half a year - and maybe it works and can be continued. How much money can he get from 1000 Hits?

Cheers

Comment

Ads belong on websites, not in software.
        -1 dont want ads in my websites either

+1 for oss and content

wow - i hadn't expected such a ok level in a discussion about capitalism in a tech forum
        I think communism is a struggle against suppression in every aspect of human living. It is about trying to satisfy as much needs as possible of every single person.

Maybe a communistic aproach (with lots of assumtions and simplification of course):
        What is the desire?
        A - Read about the newest hardware and open source software.
        M - Work less. Have a stable material basis of existence.

Expectatioin of how to get there?
        A - open phoronix page and dont get disturbed by ads
        M - Work hard to setup a well-known and respected company to earn money with it

Problems?
        Noone knows anything personal about each other. Personal as
        - How do you live?
        - What is your economical base? (Do you have to work? How long? How hard? Money in a bank? Gonna get a rent?)
        - Do you feel having a safe future?
        - Do you expereance discrimination?
        Different understanding of /capitalism/ and /communism/
        Capitalism or -how we all relate to each other economically- is fucked up:
        We all have to deal with capitalism. Capitalism has ownership as its base. Ownership should prevent us to just take what we want. In Capitalism ownership can change, if both parties agree in a "free" deal. Enforce exchange otherwise (steal, give, ...) is not capitalistic itself, but reflects ownership as well. Money is the way to make deals easy. The production of almost everything happens in capitalistic conditions (exchange of property is the dominat form like bying food). Even further: Most things are only produced cause they promise to bring profit. If a product cant be sold for a certain profit noone produces it, no matter if people dye. On the otherhand: some poducts that (can) kill people bring high profits. Capitalism dont care about people, if they connot pay. You say production in captialism is to satisfy our needs? Then why do people dye of starvation while mankind is able to produce microelectronics? Why do people have no house or are thrown in prison cause they used public transport without ticket? Why do so many people fatasize about good free markets and bad banks?

Solution?
        Well, I dont think we can even have the same idea of what capitalism is and why it is bad in this thread. Why the US is not evil and neither banks are. In some cases they have not many options if they behave according to capitalistic roules.

But what about trying a transparent way of crowdfunding? M tells how much money he needs from the community for not having any ads on the page - lets say for half a year - and maybe it works and can be continued. How much money can he get from 1000 Hits?

Cheers

Comment

Really? Calling this Ads?

Personally I don't think these default tiles can be called Ads.

Mozilla blog clearly indicates these are some pre-packaged sites on a New Tab. It's nothing like the dynamic ads you see on this website or any other places.

It's a handful feature for fresh users, just like what they have been doing in the Search Box: there are a bunch of search engines bundled.

Comment

Ads belong on websites, not in software. I will not be upgrading to a version of Firefox that has adware in it. I am currently using version 26.0 and that's likely to be the last version I use. I'll continue using this version from now until the end of time, even though using an old version of a web browser isn't safe.

Please spend a few minutes to re-read the article, not only the headline. Or maybe Mozilla blog which is linked.

It's wrong to calling it Ads.

Comment

Originally posted by lovenemesis View Post
              Personally I don't think these default tiles can be called Ads.

Mozilla blog clearly indicates these are some pre-packaged sites on a New Tab. It's nothing like the dynamic ads you see on this website or any other places.

It's a handful feature for fresh users, just like what they have been doing in the Search Box: there are a bunch of search engines bundled.
              Exactly. Its not even much different from google paying to be the default in the search box.

Comment

Originally posted by lovenemesis View Post
                Please spend a few minutes to re-read the article, not only the headline. Or maybe Mozilla blog which is linked.

It's wrong to calling it Ads.
                It is correct to call them ads.

Mozilla will begin pushing sponsored ads/sites into the directory tiles when entering the new tabs page where traditionally it has showed the most frequently visited sites.

Many are upset over the news that came out on Tuesday that Mozilla will begin showing ads within the Firefox web-browser. A Mozilla.org blog post by Darren Herman explains, "Directory Tiles will instead suggest pre-packaged content for first-time users. Some of these tile placements will be from the Mozilla ecosystem, some will be popular websites in a given geographic location, and some will be sponsored content from hand-picked partners to help support Mozilla?s pursuit of our mission. The sponsored tiles will be clearly labeled as such, while still leading to content we think users will enjoy."
                I will not use a browser that shows any kind of sponsored content.

Your website is where sponsored content belongs. Your search engine is where sponsored content belongs. The software running on my system is NOT where sponsored content belongs.

Comment

It is correct to call them ads.

I will not use a browser that shows any kind of sponsored content.

Your website is where sponsored content belongs. Your search engine is where sponsored content belongs. The software running on my system is NOT where sponsored content belongs.
                  Sorry to burst your bubble buddy, but firefox already includes sponsored content. google search and default homepage, google pays mozilla for this.

Comment

An ad-supported browser reminds me of Gator.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: Mozilla To Begin Pushing Ads To The New Tabs Page

Mozilla will begin pushing sponsored ads/sites into the directory tiles when entering the new tabs page where traditionally it has showed the most frequently visited sites...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYwMTY
                    Might be grounds to purge Firefox and install IceWeasel, I doubt Debian will tolerate sponsored anything. Sorry guys, I'll take legacy code or experimental code any time over ad-supported. If this was not a common opinion, Gator would still be selling ads on ad-supported Windows software! I've got Firefox 26 now, I will probably pin this until the cows come home or switch to Iceweasel.

I don't THINK this garbage would show up under an update, but it's one more thing you have to disable on a new install. I already remove the search engines, disable prefetch, keyword, social networking support and do this before a browser from a default install is permitted online. Then I install Ghostery and NoScript, removing most of NoScript's whitelists and adding code to further block social network sharing buttons. I do not like the direction Firefox is moving, if it wasn't for browser fingerprinting I would long ago have switched to Rekonq.

Comment

I liked the opt-in idea. Seems better. Less backhanded.
                      I also think the it wouldn't hurt Firefox. Much. Only in the geek userbase. Probably gonna be pushed down to AUR in Arch. That sort of stuff. But for the lay people who use it, especially in poorer countries where people access internet in rundown net centers, it wouldn't matter much. They don't care about ads, nor what browser they're using. For all the complaints, America is still using IE for the most part, I doubt doing something like this would matter for the rest of the world. Point, click and surf the web.
                      But hey, but what do I know?

Comment

Working...
                      X