Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
    sooo much misinformation.. and the overlooked elephant in the room:

What good is a steam client without native games?
    A steam client enables a distribution framework for game devs to get paid for Linux based games, also a way to track how many copies are being sold for Linux. Thus creating a market, Valve is a smart company I think they are putting themselves into a place where they can be the primary platform for the Linux market, which means $$$.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
      Wine is BAD for Linux because it strengthens Windows as the OS. It's an emulator and that's the problem. It's not "native" application and therefore prone to all sorts of problems. Wine is NOT a solution for promoting Linux as a gaming system, it's the exact opposite.
      Wine Is Not an Emulator.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
        The problem with linux low adoption rate isn't related to games obviously. It's more of a marketing problem and the fact that windows and even macos have reached critical mass. Everyone uses windows because that's what comes with new computers, and new computers come with windows because that's what everybody uses. The ones (regular users, not scientific researcher or big companies) who don't use windows or mac are the ones that question why should they follow the flock and shouldn't use something else.
        Right, half-assed, user-hating programs plugged as "drop-in replacements" aside (ref. gimp and photoshop), it is far more than "marketing" and "user inertia" keeping linux off the desktop.

Oh and thanks for yet another comedy piece about Steam, Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by GNU/Blind View Post
          Wine Is Not an Emulator.
          Not an emulator in the way a console emulator works. It though still hooks itself between the application and the OS providing wrappers for non-supported OS parts. It "emulates" windows as far as is required (including registry and libraries) to make the application work. I don't care what wine devs write on their software, an emulator stays an emulator no matter if it is a wrapper or all the way up to a full virtual machine.

Comment

A steam client enables a distribution framework for game devs to get paid for Linux based games, also a way to track how many copies are being sold for Linux. Thus creating a market, Valve is a smart company I think they are putting themselves into a place where they can be the primary platform for the Linux market, which means $$$.
            Doubt this as Desura is up for the cake too. And in is more open than Steam and thus caters better for the Indie titles which are on Linux more important at the time being (not in the future hopefully). Especially since Indie titles have a higher chance of getting a Linux client. Steam by itself is useless since the games you get on Steam nowadays are mostly all without a Linux client.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
              Doubt this as Desura is up for the cake too. And in is more open than Steam and thus caters better for the Indie titles which are on Linux more important at the time being (not in the future hopefully). Especially since Indie titles have a higher chance of getting a Linux client. Steam by itself is useless since the games you get on Steam nowadays are mostly all without a Linux client.
              This is the first I am hearing of Desura. I wonder if Steam is the middleware that has held back the Linux UT3 client. There are quite a few Linux compatible games on steam, not a lot but there are some. All of Id's games, World of goo, ut2004 and probably more, I don't keep up with it too much. I would kill for Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on Linux.

Comment

There are quite a few Linux compatible games on steam, not a lot but there are some. All of Id's games, World of goo, ut2004 and probably more, I don't keep up with it too much. I would kill for Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on Linux.
                Also Darwinia, the 'X' Series, SiN, a fair bit of Epic's back catalog...

There's so much being offered on Steam, that even if they only launched with the existing Linux ports of games on the service, they'd have a heck of a catalog. DOSBOX titles are an easy fit as well. Add to that the Valve catalog that is certain to be ported before any client launch, and the idea that there's nothing to put on the service for Linux is laughable.

That said, It doesn't appear to me that they are anywhere near the announcement stage yet, let alone beta or launch. We're going to be waiting a minute or two.

Comment

So, and what does this news article proof? Right, it only proofs that the client "could" run on Linux, but unfortunately that doesn't magically brings us an official supported Steam client from Valve.

As long as this proprietary piece of software isn't supported by it's author, even if it may run with a hacked binary, it doesn't makes me excited at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Straximus View Post
                    Also Darwinia, the 'X' Series, SiN, a fair bit of Epic's back catalog...

There's so much being offered on Steam, that even if they only launched with the existing Linux ports of games on the service, they'd have a heck of a catalog. DOSBOX titles are an easy fit as well. Add to that the Valve catalog that is certain to be ported before any client launch, and the idea that there's nothing to put on the service for Linux is laughable.

That said, It doesn't appear to me that they are anywhere near the announcement stage yet, let alone beta or launch. We're going to be waiting a minute or two.
                    Who wants DRM crap dangling out of their arse while they try to play a DOS title or a way-back title? Who buys non-valve titles through steam is either brain sick or a masochist.

Comment

Wine Is Not an Emulator.
                      You beat me to it... :/

Comment

Working...
                      X