Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.5 Appears To Be In Great Shape

Phoronix: Wayland 1.5 Appears To Be In Great Shape

The 1.5 release of Wayland and the Weston compositor is imminent and this release appears to be particularly good...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm so excited for when adoption is widespread enough that we can use it daily. I mean, I guess I could soon if I were crazy enough.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
      I'm so excited for when adoption is widespread enough that we can use it daily. I mean, I guess I could soon if I were crazy enough.
      I'm waiting for XWayland to appear in ArchLinux's repositories. Should be there as soon as the next XServer is released...

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        I'm waiting for XWayland to appear in ArchLinux's repositories. Should be there as soon as the next XServer is released...
        No need to wait xwayland-git is in the AUR. I changed the PKGBUILD so that it only builds the XWayland binary and doesn't replace your stable X Server which is used to launch your default desktop.

PKGBUILD for Xwayland. GitHub Gist: instantly share code, notes, and snippets.

So you can savely install this without destabilizing your system. The maintainer of the xwayland-git package will merge this so that you can use your AUR wrapper. For now just run makepkg -si in the directory containing my PKGBUILD.

After that XWayland works just out of the box with compositors that use the new XWayland apporach like the development version of weston so install weston-git or wait for weston 1.15 to be released in the next days. You can use any open source driver.

The mutter-wayland 3.12 package in Arch Linux doesn't have the XWayland DDX patch, but it would be interesting to try and just backport these patches to the 3.12 version and rebuild the package with it.

If you want to use nouveau to play around with weston and XWayland you need to revert this patch in your kernel package, because it broke weston-launch.

So just add this patch to your prepare() routine in the linux PKGBUILD and rebuild the kernel.
        Fixes weston-launch for nouveau. GitHub Gist: instantly share code, notes, and snippets.
        Last edited by blackout23; 09 May 2014, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          No need to wait xwayland-git is in the AUR. I changed the PKGBUILD so that it only builds the XWayland binary and doesn't replace your stable X Server which is used to launch your default desktop.

PKGBUILD for Xwayland. GitHub Gist: instantly share code, notes, and snippets.

So you can savely install this without destabilizing your system. The maintainer of the xwayland-git package will merge this so that you can use your AUR wrapper. For now just run makepkg -si in the directory containing my PKGBUILD.
          Ah, that's good to read. I tried to build XWayland before, however it failed somehow.

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          If you want to use nouveau to play around with weston and XWayland you need to revert this patch in your kernel package, because it broke weston-launch.

So just add this patch to your prepare() routine in the linux PKGBUILD and rebuild the kernel.
          https://gist.github.com/anonymous/55f0624510e0ddca752f
          No, but thank's... only AMD hardware here, so I'm safe

Comment

What advantage does XWayland have? Its a additional Layer at best its not slower than native X-server or am I wrong here?

So the question is when does the real thing come, without Xserver?

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              What advantage does XWayland have? Its a additional Layer at best its not slower than native X-server or am I wrong here?

You might be misunderstanding the purpose of XWayland.
              It is a kind of adapter technology, to support programs that support X11 but do not (yet) support Wayland.

It is similar to running a Windows application in Wine or a X11 application on Windows or OSX with a native XServer of the respective platform.

Cheers,
              _

Comment

XWayland is it's own tiny binary server (just 1.8 MB) to provide a fallback for applications that can't speak natively to the Wayland compositor. Most GTK3 apps like Gnome Applications run native on Wayland. Qt4 and apps that make direct calls to X without a toolkit would not work otherwise on a Wayland desktop. It's rootless so the legacy X application is an isolated Window using XWayland while everything else runs on the Wayland compositor like Mutter for Gnome. It works great already. Gnome 3.12 on Wayland is already the real thing.

I built the mutter-wayland package to use a snapshot after the 3.12 release and after support for the new XWayland DDX was added. After that selecting Gnome on Wayland from GDM launches the Wayland desktop and everything works aslong as you use the open source drivers.

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

You basically can't tell the difference visually from running legacy X apps or native Wayland applications.

Comment

Additionally to what the others said, XWayland is also a dependency of the GnomeShell (resp. it's window manager) - as it has the fallback stuff for legacy applications build-in.

Originally posted by blackout23
                  You basically can't tell the difference visually from running legacy X apps or native Wayland applications.
                  Any other difference? Does it seem smoother than GnomeShell on X11?

Comment

Thanks a lot blackout23 for the pkgbuilds, I finally managed to run GNOME on Wayland and I can only say that I'm really stunned by how things are really close to the fully-working state. I was even wondering if it failed and just fell back to traditional X11 as almost every application including KDE ones ran flawlessly and looked integrated :

There's some issues like no pointer acceleration, very bare touchpad support and windows sometimes refusing to move or resize (but can do it via context menus), and I managed to crash mutter with gwenview, but otherwise most of the stuff surprisingly just works.

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                    Any other difference? Does it seem smoother than GnomeShell on X11?
                    Well on my Mobility HD3650, Gnome Shell isn't smooth on Wayland (nothing unbeareable tho) but it's not even on X11, while Kwin on X11 and Weston are butter smooth.
                    So the performance is comparable I would say. I believe Mutter (regardless of X11/Wayland) needs some optimisation yet.
                    Last edited by Scias; 09 May 2014, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X