Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Epic Games Is Making A New Unreal Tournament

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Is Epic Games planning to make the game free as a large tech demo for showing off their engine and pay the development by licensing the engine?
    Or are there other ways Epic Games gets the needed cash for this project?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plonoma View Post
    Is Epic Games planning to make the game free as a large tech demo for showing off their engine and pay the development by licensing the engine?
    Or are there other ways Epic Games gets the needed cash for this project?
    It seems so. [strike]They didn't say anything about a bussiness model.[/strike] Just "not free to play" and "will be free".

    Worth noting that they see this as a living project: the game will keep evolving, that's why it'll be called just "Unreal Tournament".


    Edit: see below.
    Last edited by clementl; 05-08-2014 at 02:57 PM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plonoma View Post
    Is Epic Games planning to make the game free as a large tech demo for showing off their engine and pay the development by licensing the engine?
    Or are there other ways Epic Games gets the needed cash for this project?
    https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/th...t-begins-today

    Quote Originally Posted by Epic
    We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic. That’s how we plan to pay for the game.
    So basicly what Team Fortress 2 is doing.

    This is some serious stuff. We hoped for a Linux client, we get a Linux client, code and content on GitHub. I don't even...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    148

    Default

    I don't care at all for multi-player FPS but give me a fully working (and updated to work with today's Linux ecosystem) Unreal 1 on Linux - preferably on Steam where I already own the game - without me having to track down a retail copy of a game that is no longer sold and I'll be happy as a puppy with a bully stick.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    796

    Default

    It's funnny to read the comments on Windows gaming websites. The idea that something is developed in the open seems to confuse the shit out of some people.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    26

    Default

    This is amazing news!!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexMachine View Post
    I don't care at all for multi-player FPS but give me a fully working (and updated to work with today's Linux ecosystem) Unreal 1 on Linux - preferably on Steam where I already own the game - without me having to track down a retail copy of a game that is no longer sold and I'll be happy as a puppy with a bully stick.
    Unreal 1 is overrated.. I started with UT3 and then went back to UT2004 so I could play UT on linux.. I tried UT1 and honestly thought the Quake series beat the snot out of it. Had a LAN party where we spent an hour and a half setting everybody up to get UT1 working.. Then not even 15 mins later we all booted up Q3A from the same shared folder on the network and played that instead.

    UT2004 was damn good though... UT3 not so much as fun as interesting.
    Last edited by Sidicas; 05-08-2014 at 04:17 PM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    It's funnny to read the comments on Windows gaming websites. The idea that something is developed in the open seems to confuse the shit out of some people.
    Any links? I love reading stuff like that - a guilty pleasure of mine.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    It's funnny to read the comments on Windows gaming websites. The idea that something is developed in the open seems to confuse the shit out of some people.
    I noticed this too. I was in the Twitch chat when it was announced and the very second Epic said "free" EVERYBODY went "OH NO P2W GG RIP UT 2014" and so on.

    NOBODY expected, and even fewer understood, that it would be a community project.

    Gamespot had to rephrase the headline on their Unreal Tournament news article 4 times because people kept misunderstanding it.

    EDIT: Here's an example:
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new.../1100-6419511/

    EDIT2: Just wanna say I'm SUPER DUPER hyped about this. Been a fan since UT99, loved 2k4 (2k3 felt premature), but not so much UT3. I think this will be great.
    Last edited by Ishayu; 05-08-2014 at 04:38 PM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clementl View Post
    It seems so. [strike]They didn't say anything about a bussiness model.[/strike] Just "not free to play" and "will be free".

    Worth noting that they see this as a living project: the game will keep evolving, that's why it'll be called just "Unreal Tournament".


    Edit: see below.
    That is a very interesting approach. Might see this game eventually adopt UE5 once that comes out. I bet a lot of content is going to be created by fans all over. Expecting to see "Facing Worlds" one of the first mods, if devs by any error will omit that from the final release

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •