Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LinuxTag 2014 Kicks Off Today In Berlin

Phoronix: LinuxTag 2014 Kicks Off Today In Berlin

The always-great LinuxTag conference kicks off today in Berlin, Germany. LinuxTag is one of my most favorite open-source events in the world and usually only outdone by FOSDEM...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Place to crush

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: LinuxTag 2014 Kicks Off Today In Berlin

The always-great LinuxTag conference kicks off today in Berlin, Germany. LinuxTag is one of my most favorite open-source events in the world and usually only outdone by FOSDEM...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY4NDg
    Hey ma fellow geeks!
    Anyone from Berlin?
    I am seeking for place to crush? I wanna attend this expo on Saturday and have a beer or two with Michael and YOU my geeky bretherin!
    Lemme know, send me private message.

From you, couch on which i can sleep.
    From me, meal of your choice more than once and a few beers

Yours, dimko

Comment

?and we complain about article quality on Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
        ?and we complain about article quality on Phoronix.
        exactly that ... I'd be willing to make some donations, if the articles were any good. Like, explaining what a certain new feature is and why it makes my life better.
        The current phoronix is just mostly an advertsing campaign for pts and its websites (which I find confusing to use). So even though I visit regularly, I wouldn't mind if phoronix disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
          exactly that ... I'd be willing to make some donations, if the articles were any good. Like, explaining what a certain new feature is and why it makes my life better.
          The current phoronix is just mostly an advertsing campaign for pts and its websites (which I find confusing to use). So even though I visit regularly, I wouldn't mind if phoronix disappeared.
          serious?
          the only linux-benchmarking -gaming-news -graphics-bleeding-edge source disappearing means nothing to you?
          then get the hell outa here or try at least to explain why you are here except of trolling.
          quality of many articles could be better, yes, but the amount of new information is still great in comparison to many other news sites which just copy-paste all the same news from the press agencies.

This site is kind of investigative journalism while at the same time on a tabloid niveau. For a one man show I find this rather impressive and astonishing.
          and yes, I think I can make such a judgement, because I was an active journalist myself for six years.
          Last edited by tomtomme; 08 May 2014, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Sadly, as I mentioned already, there will not be any Phoronix coverage this year due to an increase in AdBlock users this year viewing the site and thus depleting the travel fund (even the annual Phoronix Oktoberfest event is now off the table)
            If it's really getting that bad maybe you should try something like this: http://www.antiblock.org/

Comment

I would mind, Phoronix is the only website that does extensive benchmarking on Linux and with exclusive news regarding Linux. Unfortunately the ads system online is so bad that is getting closer to malware (slower loading, excessive tracking completely ignoring the Do Not Track header, unreadable webpages) and recently I heard for the first time a non technical windows user talking about adblock like it were an antivirus (it does the same, he said, it blocks all that annoying junk when I'm on the internet and my computer is super fast now!) so I'm wondering how long the current advertisement model can actually last...

Comment

Originally posted by fedesog View Post
                I would mind, Phoronix is the only website that does extensive benchmarking on Linux and with exclusive news regarding Linux. Unfortunately the ads system online is so bad that is getting closer to malware (slower loading, excessive tracking completely ignoring the Do Not Track header, unreadable webpages) and recently I heard for the first time a non technical windows user talking about adblock like it were an antivirus (it does the same, he said, it blocks all that annoying junk when I'm on the internet and my computer is super fast now!) so I'm wondering how long the current advertisement model can actually last...
                Exactly, one of the reasons why I hate TV is advertising. I hate advertising, I just can't stand it. If I wanna buy something I'll go the store and buy it, there's no need to try to turn me into a zombie.

P.S: Seriously Michael, you can sell exotic beers, there's nothing wrong with that
                Last edited by wargames; 08 May 2014, 11:13 AM.

Comment

So wish I could be at LinuxTag this year... but its on my calendar for next year!!

Comment

I think a lot of people would mind.. I for sure would. I've been reading phoronix regularly since 2005. I really wish I had some funds to donate; however, Phoronix is the only site that I do not ad-block because I appreciate the Linux coverage.

Comment

Working...
                    X