GNOME Wayland Is Approved For Fedora 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
    You can always buy a redhat license if you want stability... Meantime, run F21, test it, break it -it's not like the thing is going to test itself when it's out. For stability, you run something other than the latest Fedora release.
    I understand your point to a certain extent but the reality is that for a very long time nothing Linux related was stable. At least not if you had a need to keep current with rational advancements in standards.

Comment

Originally posted by jern View Post
      "KF5 will have Wayland support [. . .] on par with Microsoft Windows or OS X support."

"For the workspaces it?s more complex. Our aim for the first release of Plasma Next has never been to fully support Wayland or do the migration to Wayland."

"As we are entering the alpha release state shortly we can be quite certain that the Plasma desktop shell will not support Wayland."

KDE. Right. GNOME. Wrong. Grunt.

And whatever little mental jumps you have to do to justify that are a-OK.
      The most important work has been done nonetheless.

Comment

After recent rawhide update few hours ago, i finally can launch gnome Wayland session on Fedora rawhide, just selecting it in gdm. It works even on radeon 7850 (was only Inter graphics support before), all looks very similar as in X, except scrolling step in firefox using mouse weel more lines then usual. I think it very unfinished and use Xwayland for everything. "ps" show two gdm sessions in process hierarhy , it expected as i remember note somewhere that need work related to autenticatoin. Still, it already very usable, all that gnome-shell transitions, terminal, firefox work w/o any glitch. Cannot run any OpenGL 3D, it tell i have no 3d support.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
          You can always buy a redhat license if you want stability... Meantime, run F21, test it, break it -it's not like the thing is going to test itself when it's out. For stability, you run something other than the latest Fedora release.
          But where's the fun in that? Sorry guys, I've been an unrepentant Fedora luser since its RedHat 6.3 daze: only release I missed (though not much) was F15, which I sat out while LXDE and XFCE scrambled to cover for Gnome. Fedora stability has been quite good since F17. As for breaking pre-release code, I generally wait until its at least Beta. Something that "yum update" has reasonable assurance of updating. Bug reporting and tracking is a time-pit, so I pick my battles. I've issues enough yet to report against g++ 4.9.0 and gdal 1.11.0, both of which I compile and test from the safety and comfort of Heisenbug. Back to the code mines...

Comment

Working...
          X