Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 8.0 Jessie To Likely Target The Linux 3.16 Kernel

Phoronix: Debian 8.0 Jessie To Likely Target The Linux 3.16 Kernel

Based upon the timing of kernel releases and requirements for hardware support, it looks like Debian 8.0 "Jessie" will ship with the Linux 3.16 kernel but it might end up being Linux 3.17...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be great if they target Gnome 3.14 and Wayland by default too.

But I think this is unlikely.

Comment

To target Wayland by default DEs need to support it. I'm not sure if KDE will make it in time to Debian freeze.

Comment

???

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
        It would be great if they target Gnome 3.14 and Wayland by default too.

But I think this is unlikely.
        this is to experimental for debian...

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
          this is to experimental for debian...
          Yeah, my guess is most distributions won't have Wayland until Gnome 3.16 is out anyhow. Since by then hopefully KDE will have all of their stuff fixed, and I bet you Gnome 3.14 will have twitchy, but working versions for Wayland.

After trying some of the development stuff at one point, it didn't seem like the things that Wayland is supposed to fix were all that different than what Xorg already provides, but I didn't look too long, and it could have been my video chip (Radeon 3200HD).

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
            Yeah, my guess is most distributions won't have Wayland until Gnome 3.16 is out anyhow. Since by then hopefully KDE will have all of their stuff fixed, and I bet you Gnome 3.14 will have twitchy, but working versions for Wayland.

After trying some of the development stuff at one point, it didn't seem like the things that Wayland is supposed to fix were all that different than what Xorg already provides, but I didn't look too long, and it could have been my video chip (Radeon 3200HD).
            one of the Debian Gnome developers said his target for Jassie was 3.14

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
              one of the Debian Gnome developers said his target for Jassie was 3.14
              Good to hear. I wonder if they're going to try to trim it down some so it'll still be the default desktop. I haven't even read any of the features that 3.14 is supposed to have. Anything cool besides 'Wayland'?

Comment

Ben started final disscusion about kernel for Jessie:

So we have a choice between:

Linux 3.14-stable
                - Supported by Greg for about 2 years after release (March 2014)
                - As an official kernel.org branch, it is likely to get some more
                testing and review, and more backports from upstream maintainers

Linux 3.16-stable
                - Supported by Ubuntu kernel team for about 15-18 months after distro
                release (October 2014)
                - Will support more current hardware and need fewer driver backports

Comment

Working...
                X