Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kingsoft Office Is Still Being Ported To Linux

Phoronix: Kingsoft Office Is Still Being Ported To Linux

While LibreOffice is currently the most popular office suite on Linux and there's countless of other open-source office / word processor suites out there, one of the longest standing proprietary office suites is still being ported to Linux as well as BSD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I do not use any *BSD, but I am using Windows (7, 8.1) and Linux (Fedora) and in both Worlds I am using Kingsoft Office. I love it. I tried SoftMaker Office before but do not like it that much. They also offer a free version ( http://www.freeoffice.com/ ), but you need to register for free. They can only import / view the "new" (docx, xlsx, pptx) formats, while Kingsoft also writes them (docx & xlsx, pptx still in developement). For the timesheet I am using Kingsoft was working better than SoftMaker, but both are good. I like both more than LibreOffice and OpenOffice.

Comment

The Kingsoft Office software that's developed in China and its roots trace back to 1988 as the DOS-based Word Processing System, is continuing to see new Linux alpha releases albeit its current adoption levels on Linux are rather limited.
      Say what? o_O

Kingsoft Office is quite popular on Linux since it has waaaay better docx/doc support than Libre Office.

It almost made it into the official Arch Linux repos, since one of the chinese Arch developers got a license to redistribute it but it would have required Arch to make sure that one spinoffs like Manjaro can't ship this package.

Comment

No ODF

No ODF support is a deal breaker for me.

Comment

Its good to have an office suite than looks nice and have good compatibility with .doc, something that lacks in libreoffice. I wonder how a privative software with less eyes on it is getting better than an open-source project, at least in this aspects.

Comment

Well, it could become the best office suite for linux, but its development is so slow, and the last version alpha 12 was released ages ago, so it will take about 10 years only to get it to stable release, not to mention about all the bug fixing and adding other features... So yeah, 2040, here i come

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
              Well, it could become the best office suite for linux, but its development is so slow, and the last version alpha 12 was released ages ago, so it will take about 10 years only to get it to stable release, not to mention about all the bug fixing and adding other features... So yeah, 2040, here i come
              Despite being an alpha, it still works better than LibreOffice.

I use Kingsoft Office, it feels like a modern office suite and is extremely easy to use. I keep LibreOffice as a backup incase of ODF files though. I don't care what the license of free software is, I just want a usable office suite.

Comment

Originally posted by seedo View Post
                No ODF support is a deal breaker for me.
                Really? No interessted, too.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  Say what? o_O

Kingsoft Office is quite popular on Linux since it has waaaay better docx/doc support than Libre Office.
                  Really? I've been using Linux as primary desktop for a good fifteen years, and I've never so much as heard of Kingsoft before now...

Comment

It's a pretty nice office suite, with a easy to use UI. Only downsides are the closed source license, 32-bit for now, and the fact that I cannot figure out how to use equations with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X