Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser4 Gains Support For Discard On SSDs

Phoronix: Reiser4 Gains Support For Discard On SSDs

Just yesterday I talked about Reiser4 being updated for Linux 3.14 and now supporting multiple transaction models. For the next Reiser4 patch release it looks like discard support will be added to the file-system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please Change the Name.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Reiser4 Gains Support For Discard On SSDs

Just yesterday I talked about Reiser4 being updated for Linux 3.14 and now supporting multiple transaction models. For the next Reiser4 patch release it looks like discard support will be added to the file-system...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY4Mzg
    The project leaders really need to change the name for this FS to regain any traction. When I see Reiser, file systems is the second thing that comes to mind. I suspect I am not alone.

Comment

I'm genuinely curious as to what theyre hoping to achieve. Beyond "why not" or "something to do", I'm not sure I'd ever choose an FS beyond BTRFS or ZFS on any system I ever build/admin for quite some time.

Since BTRFS is the successor elect for EXT4, with everything you would want from a filesystem... what am I missing? (and this is as someone who used to use Reiser back in the day instead of EXT2/3)

Comment

Originally posted by deppman View Post
        The project leaders really need to change the name for this FS to regain any traction. When I see Reiser, file systems is the second thing that comes to mind. I suspect I am not alone.

Yes, let's rename it HitlerFS !

Comment

How about NinaFS?

I'll get my coat.

Comment

Originally posted by maquis196 View Post
            I'm genuinely curious as to what theyre hoping to achieve. Beyond "why not" or "something to do", I'm not sure I'd ever choose an FS beyond BTRFS or ZFS on any system I ever build/admin for quite some time.

Since BTRFS is the successor elect for EXT4, with everything you would want from a filesystem... what am I missing? (and this is as someone who used to use Reiser back in the day instead of EXT2/3)
            No matter how aimless it is Michael will keep reporting on it and even issue new articles after its death about how no commits have been made lately. There's a tradition reporting on dead or aimless projects.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              No matter how aimless it is Michael will keep reporting on it and even issue new articles after its death about how no commits have been made lately. There's a tradition reporting on dead or aimless projects.
              Yes, the whole site is dedicated to that. but somehow people are crying only about reiserfs news.

Comment

Originally posted by maquis196 View Post

it just f*cking works

perhaps the goal is to have an alternative to XFS, Ext4, JFS and/or a working tech demo (dancing trees, plugin model, etc.)

Btrfs has still (sic!) problems with becoming full or on allocating large files at once, causing high latency, and the system to feel sluggish - from time to time causing data loss or unrecoverable partitions (even pretty seldom now when using non-advanced features such as snapshots, subvolumes, etc.)

ZFS doesn't work in all cases (on the root partition, at least for me - it keeps on getting discovered intermittently, sometimes not - it's like russian roulette if you're truely dependent on 100% reliability and the system works when you're booting up - this also reflects in the behavior that partitions sometimes are mounted/imported - sometimes are not, besides that data-saftey wise it's great ! - already 2 weird harddrives detected (one failing, the other one probably on the brink of it - or even faulty cables, mainboard, etc.; performance and bugfix improvements are continually pouring in a had no other problems so far with it)

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                  Yes, let's rename it HitlerFS !
                  You, sir, have crossed the Maginot Line with that Comment! What part of France are you from, Vichy?

Comment

Originally posted by deppman View Post
                    You, sir, have crossed the Maginot Line with that Comment! What part of France are you from, Vichy?
                    I laughed and then I remembered I was actually born in Vichy.

Comment

Working...
                    X