Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedreno 1.1 Driver Runs With XA Acceleration

Phoronix: Freedreno 1.1 Driver Runs With XA Acceleration

The Freedreno X.Org driver has been updated and offers up various bug-fixes and 2D acceleration for this Qualcomm Adreno display driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is the sate of power management with this driver? One of the critical requirements for the mobile SoC is to be energy efficient. I wonder if Jolla could replace their libhybris adaptation with using Freedreno on their device. But for that the open driver needs to match the closed one in critical features.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      What is the sate of power management with this driver? One of the critical requirements for the mobile SoC is to be energy efficient. I wonder if Jolla could replace their libhybris adaptation with using Freedreno on their device. But for that the open driver needs to match the closed one in critical features.
      The android kgsl driver has more elaborate frequence/bandwidth scaling. Although by default, the result seems to be that the android driver is considerably slower (at glmark2 under otherwise equivalent conditions) than freedreno+drm/msm, unless you force kgsl to "performance" mode (at which point it matches what drm/msm does).

How that translates into battery life, I couldn't really tell you. Someone would have to try it and measure.

And ofc, patches welcome. It is on my todo list, but lots of things are on the todo list.

Comment

@robclark: Thanks for the update. What do you think about feasibility of companies using Freedreno in actual products? While reverse engineering should avoid copyright threats, what about patent threats? Would such companies be vulnerable to threats from those who have patents in Qualcomm's driver? While it's not a technical issue, it can be a very practical obstacle for actual adoption if it's indeed a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          @robclark: Thanks for the update. What do you think about feasibility of companies using Freedreno in actual products? While reverse engineering should avoid copyright threats, what about patent threats? Would such companies be vulnerable to threats from those who have patents in Qualcomm's driver? While it's not a technical issue, it can be a very practical obstacle for actual adoption if it's indeed a problem.
          well, most certainly IANAL.. but I don't particularly see what the problem would be. Nothing about freedreno is about *how* the closed src driver works. I intercept at the cmdstream level (essentially the border between hw and sw) in order to understand how the hw works. I do not r/e the closed src driver itself.

Comment

crowdfounding

Rob, have you considered doing a crowdfounding campaign to raise funds to continue the development or what you need is time?

Comment

Originally posted by Almorca View Post
              Rob, have you considered doing a crowdfounding campaign to raise funds to continue the development or what you need is time?
              funding or time is not too much of an issue (although I certainly appreciate hw donations)

really more than anything, what is needed is more contributers, because there is just a lot to do
              open source driver project for adreno GPUs. Contribute to freedreno/freedreno development by creating an account on GitHub.

and there are a lot of other drivers, and other places in the foss graphics stack where help is needed.. we are vastly outnumbered by windows and closed driver teams, so anything that anyone can to to get more people helping is a good thing :-)

Comment

Working...
              X