No announcement yet.

Open-Source ATI Rage 128 Driver Gets Revived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a great coincidence... my fathers PC runs on a Rage 128 and he's still using WinXP. I was up to upgrade that machine to Xubuntu anyway - so that old driver comes just in time.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      Then what the fsck are you doing on this site? Trolling?

The Rage chips lived a fairly long life as server products, so modesetting support for them is something people actually use. In addition, the dev is probably learning a good bit from the experience and may use that knowledge in a future project. Of course, I'm sure he'll seek your approval for the next project he works on...
      Both your points hit the core in my opinion =D Old gear isn't useless. If it works, why stop using it? Not to mention it's a gateway to the past. And then if this guy is writing code to learn, and everyone benefits, 'wow!'. People can learn stuff with it still.

That's why I love GNU/Linux!

The tired old mantra upgrade upgrade upgrade because the new stuff is faster and more betterer is for Windows Weenies (MS did well to make people buy new nard), and thank fsck it's disappearing finally. EVERYONE I talk to alway talks about the hassle of upgrading (then they do the same with their phones anyway, they have the upgraders itch!), despite never actually having channed their usage in ten years ie internet for email, youtube, resume etc.

I'm still enjoying my P3 1000MHz (IBM NetVista, damn I miss the IBM's) CPU for my firewall. Well, when I get my fibre connection installed in October *whistling dixie for 5 months*
      Hi

Comment

Great to see legacy support continued on Linux. I love how you can revive an old, "outdated Windows PC" and still use it with an up to date lightweight Linux distro.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
          this is why i hate Linux.. can't this sireangelus find something more useful to do with his time, instead of ranting in some random forums?
          There. Fixed it for you.

(Beyond the obvious that many people, including myself, still have Rage based laptops and servers)...

- Gilboa
          Last edited by gilboa; 07 May 2014, 07:29 AM.
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
            I'm still enjoying my P3 1000MHz (IBM NetVista, damn I miss the IBM's) CPU for my firewall. Well, when I get my fibre connection installed in October *whistling dixie for 5 months*
            And the P3 probably still does an acceptable job as a firewall and (as it's an old/slow tech) doesn't eat that much power (even if its on a larger process).
            You can't easily swap it for a modern low-power CPU, simply because they use completely different architectures (Intel Atom or even some ARM), you would need to replace the whole machine.

The Rage driver makes exactly the same sense.
            There are lots of people stuck with old server motherboard, where kernel upgrade DO make sens (security fixes, faster/better filesystems, etc.), but where hardware upgrades aren't easy (the Rage chip is soldered on the mobo. No way to replace it with something better supported), and where the limited capabilities aren't problematic (it's a server. modesetting is all you need. it doesn't matter that it's still old-school fixed pipeline GPU [no way to work with shader-oriented Galium], nobody is going to play the latest games on this hardware).

Comment

Working...
            X