Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Radeon: Mesa 10.1 vs. Mesa Git On Ubuntu 14.04

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,438

    Default Radeon: Mesa 10.1 vs. Mesa Git On Ubuntu 14.04

    Phoronix: Radeon: Mesa 10.1 vs. Mesa Git On Ubuntu 14.04

    With Mesa 10.2 just having been branched for its release in the weeks ahead, at Phoronix we have carried out some tests of four different graphics cards when using Mesa 10.1.0 as shipped by Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and then using the Oibaf PPA to upgrade to the latest Mesa 10.3-devel snapshot, which is still close to the state that Mesa 10.2 will be shipping.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20361

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Russe, Bulgaria
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Error in the title.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    459

    Default

    What is going on with the last 2 gputest benchmarks? software fallback?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Does it really have to be Ubuntu all the time?
    It's just a bizarre part of the Linux world.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    Does it really have to be Ubuntu all the time?
    It's just a bizarre part of the Linux world.
    It's considered the standard GNU/Linux variant. Furthermore, other distributions are the same except for different combinations of different software versions. Testing other distro's would not add much value IMHO.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    It's considered the standard GNU/Linux variant. Furthermore, other distributions are the same except for different combinations of different software versions. Testing other distro's would not add much value IMHO.
    It's about as far from 'standard' as any mainstream distro gets, they're well known for extensive use of out-of-tree patching.

    While Ubuntu may have the biggest share, that's overall, not amongst the type of person who would read Phoronix.

    I would think most of us use a distro which is closer to the standard stack. I myself use Arch, but I think benchmarks from Fedora or Opensuse or Gentoo or Slackware or Debian or pretty much anything other than Ubuntu would be more representative of my install.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    It's about as far from 'standard' as any mainstream distro gets, they're well known for extensive use of out-of-tree patching.

    While Ubuntu may have the biggest share, that's overall, not amongst the type of person who would read Phoronix.

    I would think most of us use a distro which is closer to the standard stack. I myself use Arch, but I think benchmarks from Fedora or Opensuse or Gentoo or Slackware or Debian or pretty much anything other than Ubuntu would be more representative of my install.
    I have not checked this, but my understanding is that Ubuntu patches some 'hot' packages like mesa for new driver support.

    Michael did publish some statistics about the OS most used by it's visitor. I'm going to look that up... Didn't he deduce from that data that Ubuntu is pretty representative? (apart from the awkward fact that many visiters use Windows lol)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Tried GPUTEST with my card.
    * mesa-git with llvm 3.5svn and kernel 3.15 and AMD PITCAIRN (7870) with AMD X6-1055T
    * All fullscreen 1920x1080

    - Volplosion 1830 points (30 FPS)
    - Triangle 90806 (1513 FPS)
    - PixMark Piano 219 points (3 FPS)
    - Furmark 2441 points (40 FPS)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    276

    Default

    What we need is mesa compiled with LLVM 3.5. Also, IIRC, the radeon devs said there are some improvements in kernel 3.15 (For newer hardware, at least), although the previous post doesn't seem to show too much difference...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    It's considered the standard GNU/Linux variant.
    Source?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •