Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: SuperTuxKart Is Driving A More Advanced Graphics Engine

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    This looks great! I've always felt SuperTuxCart needed some huge graphics improvements to be interesting (both to gamers and developers) and to gain any real audience. The engine is far from everything what's needed in a game for showcasing nice graphics, and developing on a game that already has some good content is a hell of a lot faster then trying to do everything from scratch. I hope they keep up the good work!

    Perhaps scout the web for some great artists?
    I was always interested in building some racers for this game, but I was a bit discouraged by the PS2-era standards. It's not very fun making something if the game is expected to have that level of quality. If this engine revamp allows the use of normal maps along with those interesting improvements to particles, I would be excited.

    Of course, let's say I just threw some well-optimized retopologized character and cart models in there- the contrast between the environment, animations, and these new models would quickly become a distraction. Even with the improved lighting, we see that it needs to be redesigned for each level to improve contrast and visibility.

    But yes, if there were a plan to revamp all of this, I would definitely consider contributing. It would be interesting to build an entire level and character from scratch just to see what this can handle.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robclark View Post
    just curious, but anyone know what will be the new minimum required GL version?
    Recommended is 3.3, but it should still work reasonably with 3.1 (and we will investigate what else we can support).

    I don't suppose there was any work to reduce CPU load? On freedreno/snapdragon, supertuxkart is more CPU limited than anything..
    If your performance is CPU bound then try to disable kart animations, and/or reduce the number of karts. Usually the graphics are the main problem, and only the animations can be a problem for CPU (since they are done on CPU and not GPU). Everything else runs just fine on most 'reasonable' platforms (though of course you can argue what 'reasonable' exactly is ).

    Cheers,
    Joerg

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scionicspectre View Post
    I was always interested in building some racers for this game, but I was a bit discouraged by the PS2-era standards. It's not very fun making something if the game is expected to have that level of quality. If this engine revamp allows the use of normal maps along with those interesting improvements to particles, I would be excited.

    Of course, let's say I just threw some well-optimized retopologized character and cart models in there- the contrast between the environment, animations, and these new models would quickly become a distraction. Even with the improved lighting, we see that it needs to be redesigned for each level to improve contrast and visibility.

    But yes, if there were a plan to revamp all of this, I would definitely consider contributing. It would be interesting to build an entire level and character from scratch just to see what this can handle.
    We would welcome any help with the graphics: tracks or karts. At this stage we have only one artist, so if you want to help us making STK look really good, please contact us!

    Cheers,
    Joerg

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbudny View Post
    I remember that TuxKart was one of the first games that I ran on Linux, and I first played in this game on Mepis in April 2004.
    O.O

    Mepis was my first Linux distro, around 2004 or so, and TuxKart was the first Linux game I played on that wee ol' ATi Radeon X300 SE back then. I also faintly remember some sort of snowboarding or downhill skiing sort of thing... maybe sliding down a hill on a penguin's belly or something like that.

    What a small internet!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MWisBest View Post
    O.O

    Mepis was my first Linux distro, around 2004 or so, and TuxKart was the first Linux game I played on that wee ol' ATi Radeon X300 SE back then. I also faintly remember some sort of snowboarding or downhill skiing sort of thing... maybe sliding down a hill on a penguin's belly or something like that.

    What a small internet!
    The other game you're thinking of is probably Tux Racer.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    This looks great! I've always felt SuperTuxCart needed some huge graphics improvements to be interesting (both to gamers and developers) and to gain any real audience.
    Really? I thought the game should be fun.
    I tried version 0.8 and it was just lame. Mario Kart 64 is fun despite outdated graphics.
    Hopefully they'll improve the gameplay as well.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    121

    Default

    If you guys want to help, but feel your art skills aren't up to par, then i suggest some of you look into animation.
    I made a bunch of models for 0AD, but I never got around to animate them (or texturing them). A few of them have been textured and modeled by other people so far, but there are still several that's missing.

    Like this thing for example. Should just be running around and pecking at the ground.
    http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/i...howtopic=17391
    It requires some research into how the animal walks/runs, and then tweaking and improving. You'd be greatly appreciated and you get the warm fuzzy feeling from helping out and working together.

    SuperTuxCart too is lacking in animation. Everything is a bit to stiff.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    Recommended is 3.3, but it should still work reasonably with 3.1 (and we will investigate what else we can support).
    hmm, gl3 would put it out of reach of freedreno/adreno.. gl2+extensions or gles3 is about the limit.

    Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    If your performance is CPU bound then try to disable kart animations, and/or reduce the number of karts. Usually the graphics are the main problem, and only the animations can be a problem for CPU (since they are done on CPU and not GPU). Everything else runs just fine on most 'reasonable' platforms (though of course you can argue what 'reasonable' exactly is ).
    right, definitely scales w/ # of karts, etc. It's still good for ~40fps in most of the levels at 720p. At 1080p it starts to become gpu limited instead at ~33fps.

    Some might not call this platform "reasonable".. this is arm/snapdragon. Figures above are from fedora f20 on the amazon firetv sitting in front of me.. so snapdragon-600. The current snapdragon-800's or upcoming stuff should be faster still. But supertuxkart is a pretty fun little game to play on this thing :-)

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Nice, I am impressed.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    The other game you're thinking of is probably Tux Racer.
    Yep, that's the one!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •