Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperTuxKart Is Driving A More Advanced Graphics Engine

Phoronix: SuperTuxKart Is Driving A More Advanced Graphics Engine

The SuperTuxKart open-source Mario Kart inspired racing game will soon be presenting a brand new graphics engine to power the game...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This looks great! I've always felt SuperTuxCart needed some huge graphics improvements to be interesting (both to gamers and developers) and to gain any real audience. The engine is far from everything what's needed in a game for showcasing nice graphics, and developing on a game that already has some good content is a hell of a lot faster then trying to do everything from scratch. I hope they keep up the good work!

Perhaps scout the web for some great artists?

Comment

God rays look awesome - though, a little on the bright side. It could get annoying in a really dark environment in whichi it would feel like you are getting blinded.

Comment

Nice computer you have, but can it run [s]Crysis[/s] SuperTuxCart?

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
        This looks great! I've always felt SuperTuxCart needed some huge graphics improvements to be interesting (both to gamers and developers) and to gain any real audience. The engine is far from everything what's needed in a game for showcasing nice graphics, and developing on a game that already has some good content is a hell of a lot faster then trying to do everything from scratch. I hope they keep up the good work!

Perhaps scout the web for some great artists?
        To be honest, SuperTuxCart is a Mario Kart-like game, where the graphics doesn't really matter much. But it's nice to see those improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by FourDMusic View Post
          God rays look awesome - though, a little on the bright side. It could get annoying in a really dark environment in whichi it would feel like you are getting blinded.
          Well, you are getting blinded, aren't you? =)

Comment

I remember that TuxKart was one of the first games that I ran on Linux, and I first played in this game on Mepis in April 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
              Nice computer you have, but can it run [s]Crysis[/s] SuperTuxCart?

To be honest, SuperTuxCart is a Mario Kart-like game, where the graphics doesn't really matter much. But it's nice to see those improvements.
              True, but at the same time, I disagree! People coming to Linux and looking at the (FOSS) game availability have always been able to say "Oh, but the games are just shitty looking clones of 90's games, with less refined game mechanics", and to a large extent, they've been right. At least now, the "shitty looking" is improving =)

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                True, but at the same time, I disagree! People coming to Linux and looking at the (FOSS) game availability have always been able to say "Oh, but the games are just shitty looking clones of 90's games, with less refined game mechanics", and to a large extent, they've been right. At least now, the "shitty looking" is improving =)
                (un)fortunately, you can say the same about most new commercial games.

Comment

Network multiplayer and LAN are also in the works. May or may not be released in an usable state when the graphics improvements will be put in a stable release.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: SuperTuxKart Is Driving A More Advanced Graphics Engine

The SuperTuxKart open-source Mario Kart inspired racing game will soon be presenting a brand new graphics engine to power the game...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY4MjI
                    just curious, but anyone know what will be the new minimum required GL version?

I don't suppose there was any work to reduce CPU load? On freedreno/snapdragon, supertuxkart is more CPU limited than anything..

Comment

Working...
                    X