Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve-Sponsored Mesa Work Makes Games Load A Lot Faster

Phoronix: Valve-Sponsored Mesa Work Makes Games Load A Lot Faster

Improvements to Mesa done by LunarG and sponsored by Valve in a new open-source patch-set means that popular Linux games should take significantly less time to load -- including titles like Dota 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive -- by speeding up the shader compilation process...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And this right here is why open source wins in the long run over proprietary software. Instead of having to live with bugs, slow performance and other issues, developers using the related stacks can fix the system and push changes upstream helping everyone.

Comment

Did anyone else not get a warm fuzzy from reading this article? I know when I play a game I usually have to suffer through a lot of stuttering until the GL cache is built.

Another +1 for D3D.

Comment

updated builds of CS:GO and DOTA2 for Linux
        Did I miss when they released CS:GO for Linux? Or is this just referring to internal betas?

Comment

This is very nice work, but it fixes the symptoms, not the cause of problems. Dota 2 for Linux, probably because of how ToGL implements shader translation uses 2x more memory than the Windows counterpart.

I did some testing here, and the situation is still same as it was back in august of last year. http://vrodic.blogspot.com/2013/08/d...native-vs.html

Comment

siavashserver: You just need to do some other work between glCompileShader and trying to fetch the compile status / info log, or link. If you're already doing that, then great

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              Did anyone else not get a warm fuzzy from reading this article? I know when I play a game I usually have to suffer through a lot of stuttering until the GL cache is built.

Another +1 for D3D.
              No, it doesn't! The single part it does, it lets max out all cores as it compile the shaders. In fact it needs less shuttering as it loads, as it can in fact animate (it can spin a wheel) on the main UI thread in the time the other threads do compile shaders.

Yes, D3D is better (as most commercial software) but the gap is getting narrower with every improvement like this.

You could write: +0.2 for D3D instead of +0.4 because of D3D (without this fix)

Comment

For those that were afraid (or hysteric) about the proprietary "invasion" into Linux....

Comment

Originally posted by ciplogic View Post
                  No, it doesn't! The single part it does, it lets max out all cores as it compile the shaders. In fact it needs less shuttering as it loads, as it can in fact animate (it can spin a wheel) on the main UI thread in the time the other threads do compile shaders.

Yes, D3D is better (as most commercial software) but the gap is getting narrower with every improvement like this.

You could write: +0.2 for D3D instead of +0.4 because of D3D (without this fix)
                  When did You heard that Mesa is NOT commercial?

AMD use it for commercial activities (in embeded world), Intel use it for commercial activities (desktop & mobile Linux including Android), RH use it for commercial activities (RHEL)....

Valve use it for commercial activities (cause Intel allow everybody to help them)....

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                    For those that were afraid (or hysteric) about the proprietary "invasion" into Linux....
                    To be fair.

Valve help AMD and Nvidia both ... with their proprietary drivers.

r600g, radeonSI take advantage by nature of Intel driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X