No announcement yet.

Valve-Sponsored Mesa Work Makes Games Load A Lot Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PMdh04000: I'm a different person, though felt the need to point it out as it does change the meaning entirely.

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I don't see the difference in the context.
    Ah, it's just the difference between saying "Pretty much no one does it like this" and "This doesn't work". AFAICT the former was being said.

Comment

Originally posted by DaVince View Post
      Ah, it's just the difference between saying "Pretty much no one does it like this" and "This doesn't work". AFAICT the former was being said.
      I'm not a native speaker, but it doesn't make sense to me... If it was the former, then it would have been phrased as "It's never done this way", no?

Comment

Originally posted by DaVince View Post
        PMdh04000: I'm a different person, though felt the need to point it out as it does change the meaning entirely.

As a native english speaker, in context GreatEmerald's usage is 100% correct. You cannot state whether something has or has not worked, or whether it does or does not work, without there being at least a single occurrence of it being tried. Which is what is being gotten at.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          Driver already have pool of threads (and not that Linux have some heavy threads anyway). And initial state should be identical to all of them. So resource usage when no additional threads are used (beyond first) should be very very minimal. (Linux have that layzy copy-on-write approach)
          You discount the locking overhead. Consider apps that compile a few thousand shaders, then add a mutex to each.

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
            The docs have this marked as done. Are you sure it wasnt commited?

Edit: Ahh I realise now you are talking about the caching.
            GL_ARB_get_program_binary is marked done because the spec allows the driver to fail out of it at anytime and still be compliant, so the driver just implements the stub and has nothing inside of it.

For a while, somebody was working on filling in the actual implementation to correctly export and load the binaries, and they stuck along a cache at the same time as an easy way to test their implementation.

It never got committed though, because the mesa devs weren't ever happy with the code.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              You discount the locking overhead. Consider apps that compile a few thousand shaders, then add a mutex to each.
              I don't know, a simple mutex shouldn't be that bad if they're never blocking each other, should it? At least in comparison with all the work associated with compiling a shader.

The NVidia and fglrx binary drivers apparently have threaded compiling on all the time, so i don't see why Mesa couldn't do the same, unless there is something inefficient about their particular codebase.

Some numbers from the patches:

I do not have numbers from real applications yet. But trying to compiling a
              set of 2882 shaders extracted from some trace file, with everything else
              idled, the time it takes is

8 threads: 17.8s
              4 threads: 20.3s
              2 threads: 31.2s
              1 threads: 58.0s
              no thread pool: 54.5

on a quad core system.
              So i guess that's about 6.5% slower. I think the benefits of always having multithreading might be good enough to live with 6.5%.

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
                Pardon?

It's was never announced that source code will be included and it's not available yet.
                My bad. Only for Unreal then.

Comment

Working...
                X