Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel's P-State Driver Is Getting Better Tuned For Performance

Default Intel's P-State Driver Is Getting Better Tuned For Performance

Phoronix: Intel's P-State Driver Is Getting Better Tuned For Performance

The Intel P-State driver that's found in modern versions of the Linux kernel as a replacement to the older CPUfreq code is getting tuned for better performance while boasting greater power-savings...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY3Mzg

Does anyone know if also the first gen Core i5's will be supported, e.g. my i5-750? I can't find any information whatsoever on it..

Default hm!

Quote Originally Posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
    Does anyone know if also the first gen Core i5's will be supported, e.g. my i5-750? I can't find any information whatsoever on it..
    you only need to check if its working or not if you are using ubuntu use this command in terminal "cpufreq-info"

Saving the world, one gram of carbon at a time. 0.35% is nice, but here's hoping for 3.5%.

You would think Intel would throw more resources behind this type of code to make sure energy and performance was as good as it could get.

I don't know if this has to do with the articles subject, but I found it strange that when compiling on my kubuntu install it easily took 2 times longer to compile various software compared to OSX on the same machine. I saw that the CPU never clocked to its max state. Lowering a threshold somewhere(don't remember exactly) in proc/sysfs remedied this.

Nice to see there is still some efford to make the CPU more power efficient. But what about the Package state issues? My Haswell i7 w/o discrete gpu still won't enter PC7 when idle resulting in approx twice as much power drain compared to my old SNB i7.

Quote Originally Posted by uwgandalf View Post
    when compiling on my kubuntu install it easily took 2 times longer to compile
    Ubuntu disables P-State driver by default in their kernel.

Are there software ways to measure power usage on a non-Windows OS?

Yes! sysfs provides access to Battery properties such as discharge current.