Thread: Eight Months Later, Intel X.Org 3.0 Driver Still In Development

Default Eight Months Later, Intel X.Org 3.0 Driver Still In Development

Phoronix: Eight Months Later, Intel X.Org 3.0 Driver Still In Development

Eight months ago today was the first development release of xf86-video-intel 3.0, the X.Org Intel DDX driver, with support for SNA by default and XMir. While Intel reverted their plans to support XMir, this major Intel DDX driver update still hasn't surfaced...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY4MTI

So what's holding it up? Is there some milestone they're shooting for? Blocking bugs?

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    So what's holding it up? Is there some milestone they're shooting for? Blocking bugs?
    I don't know how much new code they have to write, but if you pick the solution to write "v2.0" of your software starting from scratch with the goal of using all cool new tools and knowledge then you have to take into account that it will take a long time before the v2.0 will became feature compatible with v1.0. In some cases this approach is needed to breake with bad legacy design decisions.

Anything about dri3? I think it isn't even in the upstream repository yet...

I would think that anyone who has any driver background in anything is working on DX12.

It's not too much of an issue that the 3.0 official release hasn't happened yet given that most distributions ship some form of the Git code from the past few months, and that most of the exciting Intel Linux graphics work happens within the kernel DRM and Mesa, but still it's a bit surprising how long this release is taking to materialize.
    Maybe they prefer quality and a low number of bugs over rushed releases?

Quote Originally Posted by riklaunim View Post
    it will take a long time before the v2.0 will became feature compatible with v1.0. In some cases this approach is needed to break with bad legacy design decisions.
    That's pretty general/vague. These 2.99.x versions are supposed to be release candidates, and they've been coming out for 8 months, so they should be really close to release. I was wondering if there was something specific holding it up. (Looking through git log, it seems like there are still a lot of changes occurring.)

I like to think it's a silent protest against the management ordering the Mir support removal.

"Oh it's still not ready?"
    "No, I'm afraid the frobniz barnicator is still eluding us, and there are several commas in wrong places in comments."

Blocking bugs?