No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.5 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys I finally managed to compile the driver! (after I installed GCC and make)...

Well I have a Hybrid Crossfire setup here which means HD 3200 IGP and an HD 3450 as the first card...
    I always have it enabled at BIOS and please take a look at some strange lines at my Xorg.0.log!
    (II) fglrx(0): === [PreInitCFSlave] === begin
    (II) fglrx(0): PCI bus 1 card 5 func 0
    (**) fglrx(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics" (Chipset = 0x9610)
    (**) fglrx(0): (PciSubVendor = 0x1043, PciSubDevice = 0x82f1)
    (**) fglrx(0): board vendor info: third party graphics adapter - NOT original ATI
    (--) fglrx(0): Linear framebuffer (phys) at 0xc0000000
    (--) fglrx(0): MMIO registers at 0xfbcf0000
    (==) fglrx(0): ROM-BIOS at 0x000c0000
    (EE) fglrx(0): Invalid video BIOS signature!
    (EE) fglrx(0): PreInit failed
    (II) fglrx(0): === [PreInitCFSlave] === end
    (II) fglrx(0): There is no any crossfire chain in the system
    (EE) fglrx(0): PreInitCFChain failed
    Can you tell me please if anyone knows if I can fix that? Cause it is definately talking about Crossfire!
    Or it is just not ready yet??

Comment

Originally posted by luisromangz View Post
      The artifacts are showing here too, just in Qt apps. GTK apps are unaffected (although Firefox renders some fonts quite oddly). Someone said that removing the kernel module solved the problem... how do you exactly do that?
      I have artifacs in qt3 apps (qt4 work fine) and in GVIM with Monospace font.
      I have only removed the fglrx kernel module from /lib/modules/2.6.25.4/kernel/drivers/char/drm, but this disable 3D support .

Comment

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
        Any common factor between all of you who experience visual artifacts with Catalyst 8.5 ? 64 bit ? I haven't seen a single visual glitch yet, while I'm enjoying the improved performance (X1400 mobile, 32bit Ubuntu).
        I'm with 64Bits too and enjoying the improved performance. WoW framerate is a lot stable now (ATI AI?). Didn't not gain much FPS (if any) but I do notice I don't get massive FPS drops in graphic intensive events.

Catalyst 8.5 on a X1400Mobile with Ubuntu 8.04 64Bits.

Don't have any problems or artifacts like people are reporting here.

Comment

cjr2k3, how much system memory do you have ? The reported "64-bit" issues seem to be more related to the system BIOS's treatment of 4GB of system RAM more than to 64-bit itself.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            cjr2k3, how much system memory do you have ? The reported "64-bit" issues seem to be more related to the system BIOS's treatment of 4GB of system RAM more than to 64-bit itself.
            I have 4Gb of memory, but BIOS only reports 3.3xxGb (Intel Chipset fault, Mobile Intel? 945PM reports that handle up to 4Gb but BIOS only reports 3,3xxGb).

Graphic Card have 128Mb memory.

Full system specs:
            Code:
            Processor	Intel? Core? Duo Processor 1.66GHz(T2300) ~, 667MHz FSB, 2MB L2
            Operating System	Genuine Windows? XP Home Edition
            Genuine Windows? XP Home Professional Edition
            Chipset	Intel? 945PM/GM
            Memory	1024 DDR2(667MHz, Dual Channel Support, Up to 4GB)
            Display	15.4
            Graphics	ATI? MobilityTM Radeon? X1400 (up to 512MB *HyperMemory)
            HDD	100GB(SATA)
            ODD	DVD Combo / DVD Super Multi Dual Layer (DVD-R/RW, +R/RW, RAM)
            Memory upgraded to 4Gb and no longer running windows :P
            Ubuntu 8.04 64Bits

(anyone knows how to get that "hypermemory" working under linux?)

Comment

@bridgman:Ok more info... HD3450 + HD 3200

Here I use opensuse 11 64bit and I can only get a good working desktop only if I turn on Composite features of Plasma workspace at KDE 4 or use Compiz-Fusion!

Really weird... I have Hybrid Crossfire enabled and with it on my RAM reduces to 1.75GB from 2GB...

But Compositing features and general stability are really improved John...

Comment

(anyone knows how to get that "hypermemory" working under linux?)
                Mine question too man...

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
                  @bridgman:Ok more info... HD3450 + HD 3200

Here I use opensuse 11 64bit and I can only get a good working desktop only if I turn on Composite features of Plasma workspace at KDE 4 or use Compiz-Fusion!

Really weird... I have Hybrid Crossfire enabled and with it on my RAM reduces to 1.75GB from 2GB...

But Compositing features and general stability are really improved John...
                  Here goes te same: when in 2d mode (kwin) the entire screen is garbled. When switching to composite mode in kwin of compiz-fusion everything is fine (and a lot faster than begore!).

Only sad thing is that video playback is even worse than before (now I get major tearing in windowed mode _and_ fullscreen).

(system: c2d, x1400, 3GB)

Comment

Originally posted by chefkoch View Post
                    rebuild your kernel with CONFIG_PCI_LEGACY=y
                    Thanks, now it compiles. Now I just can load the module

# modprobe fglrx
                    [fglrx] Adapter chains initialized successfully!
                    [fglrx] CF object manager initialized successfully!
                    [fglrx] vendor: 1002 device: 94c8 count: 1
                    [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 1885 MBytes.
                    [fglrx] ASYNCIO init succeed!
                    [fglrx:KCL_enable_pat] *ERROR* Pat entry 2 is already configured
                    [fglrx] PAT is disabled!
                    [fglrx:firegl_init_module] *ERROR* firegl_stub_register failed
                    FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.25.4_daniell3.0-fglrx/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko): Operation not permitted

I've read that disabling PAT in the kernel may solve this, but in 2.6.25.4 there is no configure option for this.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
                    Daniel

Comment

8.5 tears and garbles 2d for me too

I have mobility radeon x1600 on 32-bit hardy, using gnome.
                      Using 8.5 with compiz works beautifully, and indeed noticeably faster than 8.3. However, switching to metacity results quickly in an entire garbled screen, full of artifacts. Could this be the fault of my configuration? The relevant section in my xorg.conf is:

Section "Device"
                      Identifier "Generic Video Card"
                      Boardname "ati"
                      Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
                      Driver "fglrx"
                      Screen 0
                      Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "on"
                      Option "VideoOverlay" "off"
                      Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
                      Option "TexturedVideo" "on"
                      Option "Textured2D" "on"
                      Option "TexturedXrender" "on"