No announcement yet.

Preview: NVIDIA Tegra K1 Compared To Various x86, ARM Linux Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty cool, considering that the CUDA cores it is meant to compute with are certainly not used in most of these benchmarks.

Comment

ARM comes of age

When I saw you were comparing it to an i3 I didn't think it'd come close but to my surprise it does compete very well with the i3 in a number of your chosen tests! Wow!

I wish you'd included some more ARM boards like the Pandaboard and RPi in these tests so we can see just how far ARM has progressed in the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
        When I saw you were comparing it to an i3 I didn't think it'd come close but to my surprise it does compete very well with the i3 in a number of your chosen tests! Wow!

I wish you'd included some more ARM boards like the Pandaboard and RPi in these tests so we can see just how far ARM has progressed in the last few years.
        Tests on the Pi could take days to complete http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...FO-1305102FO57 && http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...AR-MINIPC20536

Comment

That i3 is really, really old though. Albeit a 35 watt part.

Comment

+1 to include AM1 in next benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by lima View Post
              Hope AM1 is included next time. Pretty good stuff from ARM.
              +1 Yes... AM1 results please!

Comment

Originally posted by lima View Post
                Hope AM1 is included next time. Pretty good stuff from ARM.
                You would think after a month of AM1 testing they could be included to give us a real range of hardware.

Comment

Let's see it in a phone then... put Jen on the phone !

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  Lately a lot of smoke from nV and a lot less products. And late products. Or stupid comparisons with long dead products.
                  Back on the subject: the only problem is when they will be finally ready to shink it enough to put it in a phone, Hahapple would already be there with 1/2 the power and ~ same performance. Jen is quite a show man. The only problem is he missed the industry. I don't really know who's doing all the talking at Samsung, Amd, Intel, Freescale or even Hahapple. Or the rest of the bunch in this business. It looks Jen can and is talking them out. But can't really deliver. I guess it's better do than talk

Comment

... and nVidia beats analysts estimates again ...

Originally posted by Decebal View Post
                    Lately a lot of smoke from nV and a lot less products. And late products. Or stupid comparisons with long dead product .... It looks Jen can and is talking them out. But can't really deliver. ...
                    So, nVidia posted another surprisingly strong quarter. I'm not sure how that relates to "can't really deliver," but it seems to kinda discredit that concept.

Jen said the TK1 board would ship out in April. Mine (and Phoronix's) shipped on April 29th. Seems like they literally delivered as promised. Also, the board has delivered very strong performance. My nearly-year-old Shield still beats all shipping Android devices on compute, and does a great job with graphics. And the Tegra Note has performance that is better than almost all other tablets, with a fantastic stylus for $200 - a third of the similar performing Note III.

Tegra is NVs weakest division; however, the TK1 might just reverse that if placed in the proper devices. Think tablets, set top boxes, ECUs. Phones are hard to compete against due to QC's stranglehold on CDMA and compelling integrated modems.

As for the rest of the products, it looks like NV has been the worst GPU vendor out there, except for all the others. The GTX750Ti is a great example - I can upgrade my mother's 5 year old dell mini-tower to mid-grade graphics no problems. And overclock the board by 20% on 60W. Nothing in the AMD camp can touch that. They just opened up a whole new market with Maxwell and the 750's. And their continued excellent support of Linux has kept them in good graces with Steam and professionals as well. You can now rent CUDA clusters hardware from Amazon.

And yes, NV is late with 20nm process. But so is everyone except Intel - because they all use TSMC or GlowFlo foundries, and they are the ones that are behind. In response, NV gave up waiting and is now moving forward with 28nm Maxwell. Seems like the pragmatic thing to do.

So, how again has NV not delivered? Sure, they might not have done as well with the T4 SOC as maybe we would have liked, but it wasn't a bad effort, and the TK1 looks to be a very compelling successor.
                    Last edited by deppman; 06 May 2014, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I concur!. This K1 board is certainly impressive based on the Core i3 comparisons. It wacked the Atom 525 out of the water for sure.
                      COngrats for having been the first site to publish any benchmarks of K1 Dev Board comparing with normal cpus.

Comment

Working...
                      X