Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Debian's KDE Team Needs Some Help

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    It is getting one. The Visual Design Group is hard at work at that as we speak.


    Citation needed.
    thats good to hear, im not the only one who feels KDE looks flumpy.. is it the way it renders things? Also i cant citate only repeat what others have said for many many years when new users hit Linux and ask for an introductory experience KDE always gets the first mention. A good thing of course ! but due to its mimicary of Windows ( pre-themeing)

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post
    Also i cant citate only repeat what others have said for many many years when new users hit Linux and ask for an introductory experience KDE always gets the first mention. A good thing of course ! but due to its mimicary of Windows ( pre-themeing)
    Just because KDE is easier for windows users to adapt to doesn't mean that is the primary reason for its success. And it doesn't mean that KDE mimics windows.
    Last edited by TheBlackCat; 05-04-2014 at 12:17 PM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    Just because KDE is easier for windows users to adapt to doesn't mean that is the primary reason for its success. And it doesn't mean that KDE mimics windows.
    it doesnt mean it... but it is a large part of the reason. What should a DE do ? look nice, be easy and fast to use and most of all be stable.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Funny I am running Debian Sid as we speak and just a few hours ago uninstalled KDE from the system and replaced it with MATE 1.8. Debian's KDE has so many little bugs and niggles that I wanted to pull my hair out using it. WHat I find interesting is that Slackware which does not patch upstream packages and is a one man show has the best KDE desktop I ever used in a distro.

    Debian please stop patching upstream packages with Debian specific bugs.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    It can't possibly be that Debian has a version of KDE that is several years out of date, or that Debian is not known as being KDE-centric.
    YES. Also, there are other distributions that use a recent KDE, which also have (paid) technical support available and that come preinstalled in some computers (like the ones from Zareason). Then Debian needs to offer more to compete with them, and offering a KDE that is several years out of date is not going to help it.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    its success
    By the way:

    In 2014:
    KDE wins Linux New Media Readers Choice Award 2014
    http://dot.kde.org/2014/03/18/kde-wi...ice-award-2014
    Last week at CeBIT, KDE won the [Linux New Media Readers Choice Award 2014](http://www.linux-magazin.de/NEWS/Ceb...ewinnen-Preise) for the best Linux Desktop Environment. 46% of the readers of Linux New Media's global publications voted for KDE. Runner-ups were GNOME with 18% and XFCE with 13%. [...]

    In 2013:
    KDE easily takes top spot this year
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/rc2013?page=8

    In 2012:
    KDE's top spot
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/slidesho...ce-2012?page=3

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ferry View Post
    the task switch (Alt-Tab) in win7 is still win98 like (pictograms), compare that to KDE flipswitch or cover switch
    Try Windows+Tab instead of Alt+Tab on Windows 7

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    It can't possibly be that Debian has a version of KDE that is several years out of date, or that Debian is not known as being KDE-centric.
    Debian might not be desktop centric but it still makes a nice desktop distrbution.
    The "several years out of date" is only true during longer than expected freezes for a Debian stable release.
    Can't speak for GNOME or other desktop products, but right now the difference is just one minor release number, making it about four months old in KDE's current release scheme.

    Cheers,
    _

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Hamilton ON Canada
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post
    I think half the problem is, less people are interested in KDE in general these days. All KDE distributions struggle to look and feel any different. There is always this big boned look almost late 1990's feel, that even with font changes, theme changes, icon changes it still looks 'big and flouncy'

    Its actually quite a chore to get KDE looking minimal like openbox or xfce yet with all the compositing and effects and it still never looks the same always feeling wooly and lower definition. Cinnamon is more exciting even though its less stable and much less recoverable, at least you can get some modern crisp UI going and not feel like your trapped in some windows 98 desktop with a 3rd party effects application installed.
    I often find that when all people have to offer to a discussion of software is to criticize how it looks and how "exciting" it is or isn't defines how serious of a Linux users a person isn't. As much as I (like anyone) enjoy a nice looking desktop, that's not what sells me on its usefulness. Believe it or not, there are people who use Linux for serious work and don't nitpick every visual detail then reboot into Windows because Linux is only good for pretty screenshots, right?

    I digress. Like all distros, Debian has its purpose and the people who use it don't often complain about it being slightly older. For me and others who use Linux and only Linux I care more about how stable and secure it is. If it looks nice, that's a bonus and not an absolute requirement.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcknight View Post
    I often find that when all people have to offer to a discussion of software is to criticize how it looks and how "exciting" it is or isn't defines how serious of a Linux users a person isn't. As much as I (like anyone) enjoy a nice looking desktop, that's not what sells me on its usefulness. Believe it or not, there are people who use Linux for serious work and don't nitpick every visual detail then reboot into Windows because Linux is only good for pretty screenshots, right?

    I digress. Like all distros, Debian has its purpose and the people who use it don't often complain about it being slightly older. For me and others who use Linux and only Linux I care more about how stable and secure it is. If it looks nice, that's a bonus and not an absolute requirement.
    I take your point but i find KDE works slower because it is visually cluttered. Not to mention waiting for an effect to finish or dolphin to pop up is slower.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •