Epic Games Is Making An Unreal Tournament Announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vax456 View Post
    The taunts were restricted to 5 or 6 extremely lame ones and it got very annoying after a while.
    Well, to be fair, the demo only had the DemoGuy, hence the small set. They did improve the overall taunt system, though: you no longer hear taunts for every single kill, but only for sprees, making them less annoying, and instead you hear more status messages ("enemy flag carrier - near the blue base" instead of "enemy flag carrier is here" that required you to look at the text to know what "here" means).

The SP campaign was pretty poor, but it did have an interesting idea with Respawners. So later on I made a mod which, on completing the goal, would disable the losing team's respawner, making it very hard for them to win but still possible if it's a close game.

Comment

Native Linux or GTFO

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Well, to be fair, the demo only had the DemoGuy, hence the small set. They did improve the overall taunt system, though: you no longer hear taunts for every single kill, but only for sprees, making them less annoying, and instead you hear more status messages ("enemy flag carrier - near the blue base" instead of "enemy flag carrier is here" that required you to look at the text to know what "here" means).

The SP campaign was pretty poor, but it did have an interesting idea with Respawners. So later on I made a mod which, on completing the goal, would disable the losing team's respawner, making it very hard for them to win but still possible if it's a close game.
        Don't get me wrong, I at least had fun with it. I bought the damned thing on Steam and played it off and on for a little while, but Epic just couldn't capture the appeal the UT series once had. Now that I thought about some more after my previous post, I think another reason for UT3's lack of popularity is they made it more... shall we say... grounded.

Here's what I mean, take a look at some of my videos of UT2004. These are online matches of Bombin Run:

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

I think part of the appeal, at least for UT2004 and for me, was that it was insanely broken. There were all sorts of tricks you could do to get an edge and most of that was taken away in UT3. I don't mean to say that it was a bad thing that it was taken away in UT3. I'm saying that there was a lack of substance.

The skill gap was closed, so there wasn't much of a sense of getting better at the game. There wasn't anything new offered. The game itself looked generic. There wasn't anything about it that distinguished itself from any other FPS on the market.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, they ran out of ideas. All they could really do was show off what the Unreal Engine 3 could do and rehashed UT2004 and UT99.

Comment

Originally posted by Vax456 View Post
          Don't get me wrong, I at least had fun with it. I bought the damned thing on Steam and played it off and on for a little while, but Epic just couldn't capture the appeal the UT series once had. Now that I thought about some more after my previous post, I think another reason for UT3's lack of popularity is they made it more... shall we say... grounded.
          Yea, the limited movement was a regression. They wanted to "get back to the roots" of UT1, which didn't have any of that fancy UT2004 movement, so they limited it. What they didn't account for is that people liked UT1 *not* for the limited movement...

As for the lack of ideas, well, if they did proper rehashing it wouldn't have been that bad, but they removed too much as well. Assault, for one, which has always been my favourite gametype due to the missions actually having story. And they merged Bombing Run with Onslaught. They removed Invasion as well.

But of course they could have come up with some original gametypes as well. Unreal Championship 2 had plenty of those, like Overdose, so it's not like that's impossible to do.

Comment

Really, you guys think that it's going to be UT4?

Remember this when you see the announcement: You read it here on Phoronix first!

It's going to be a FREE-TO-PLAY crapwreck of Unreal Tournament, just like what Quake Live did to that series!

Also, my prediction about the Call of Duty franchise from Infinity Ward coming natively to Linux still stands!

Edit: I should add that the new UT could even be WebGL based...
            Last edited by Linuxxx; 04 May 2014, 07:08 PM. Reason: WebGL

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
              Remember this when you see the announcement: You read it here on Phoronix first!

It's going to be a FREE-TO-PLAY crapwreck of Unreal Tournament, just like what Quake Live did to that series!
              No, that doesn't make any sense. Games in the Unreal Tournament series have always been the harbinger of the Unreal Engine, showing off all of the latest technology.

And no, I didn't read it on Phoronix first, I read it on BeyondUnreal first.

Comment

No, that doesn't make any sense. Games in the Unreal Tournament series have always been the harbinger of the Unreal Engine, showing off all of the latest technology.

And no, I didn't read it on Phoronix first, I read it on BeyondUnreal first.
                With you read it here on Phoronix first I meant MY prediction, NOT the actual news!

And about the prediction, I think the writing is pretty much already on the wall:

If you closely look at this video, you will see UT3 already being played in Firefox, though it never was released to the public! Now, why did they bother with that in the first place, then?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                  If you closely look at this video, you will see UT3 already being played in Firefox, though it never was released to the public! Now, why did they bother with that in the first place, then?
                  That's not UT3, that's a demo of UE3 and it's just a way to show off the scalability of the engine.

Now you should look closely at this video instead:

Comment

Well, Unreal II is pretty much a predecessor to Mass Effect, so it makes sense it's more a space opera than a survival game like the first one was.

The single player made little sense, odd that they removed the ladder (from which the whole series name comes from). As for the login system, it's completely optional, so...
                    If I remember the login system wasn't optional for me.

So are you saying that mass effect is part of the Unreal storyline?

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                      If I remember the login system wasn't optional for me.

So are you saying that mass effect is part of the Unreal storyline?
                      You remember wrong, then. There's a "cancel" button, right next to "log in".

No I'm not. What I'm saying is that the concept of both games was the same. In both you are a captain of a spaceship, are on a task of galactic peacekeeping, both are story- and dialogue-based, both were supposed to be non-linear in that you can select the missions to go on, in both the choices are supposed to matter, both are supposed to have vehicles, both are strongly about the visuals of each planet and are supposed to be about exploration etc. Not a whole lot of that ended up in the final Unreal II, because Atari ordered Legend Entertainment to release the unfinished beta (cutting out all of the WIP sections, including the multiplayer, which in a much reduced and simplified form Legend released separately after the fact) and then promptly dissolved the company; however, the design docs survived. Whether or not Bioware was aware of them I'm not sure, but the similarities are striking.

Comment

Working...
                      X