Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Games Is Making An Unreal Tournament Announcement

Phoronix: Epic Games Is Making An Unreal Tournament Announcement

Next week there's set to be an announcement concerning the very popular Unreal Tournament game franchise in relation to Unreal Engine 4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeap, very exciting. Although I would have preferred Unreal III over Unreal Tournament 4.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Yeap, very exciting. Although I would have preferred Unreal III over Unreal Tournament 4.
      I wonder if they can really make a new Unreal game as epic as the first one...

Comment

No

Originally posted by SweMonkey View Post
        I wouldn't hold my breath, as Games today are geared to the casual user.

Comment

Originally posted by SweMonkey View Post
          Well, the UT3 Titan Pack had some nice nods toward it, and overall at that point they seemed to have learned their lessons. If they didn't forget them, then they probably could, but of course I wouldn't count on that (especially now that Cliff Bleszinski left Epic).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Well, the UT3 Titan Pack had some nice nods toward it, and overall at that point they seemed to have learned their lessons. If they didn't forget them, then they probably could, but of course I wouldn't count on that (especially now that Cliff Bleszinski left Epic).
            I actually really enjoyed UT3, I know some didn't but graphically it was beautiful and gameplay wise it was just a bump up and finetuning. All the same -style- of maps, a few cool new editions like the sandstorm on the one desert map, a couple added gametypes that I enjoyed. But hey, maybe it was just me *shrugs*.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              I actually really enjoyed UT3, I know some didn't but graphically it was beautiful and gameplay wise it was just a bump up and finetuning. All the same -style- of maps, a few cool new editions like the sandstorm on the one desert map, a couple added gametypes that I enjoyed. But hey, maybe it was just me *shrugs*.
              Well, the graphics technology is certainly nice, but the graphics style is pretty bad. They grungified everything for no real reason, and added detail where there should be none. But yes, overall I think UT3 is on par with UT2004 when looking at the base game (although UT2004 has way more content when it comes to mods).

Comment

I have finished Unreal, UT, UT2003, UT2004... (yes all purchased)

Unreal 2 felt odd, almost like it was a different game. I lost taste for that game when it felt like a 3D spectacle rather than a game.

UT3 is great in multiplayer but single player bored me. I HATE the stupid login system they introduced. That alone bothered me enough not to bother with the game any more.

So for me.. if UT4 is going to be awesome, it needs to feel more like the old Unreal and less like gears of war.

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                  Unreal 2 felt odd, almost like it was a different game. I lost taste for that game when it felt like a 3D spectacle rather than a game.
                  Well, Unreal II is pretty much a predecessor to Mass Effect, so it makes sense it's more a space opera than a survival game like the first one was.

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                  UT3 is great in multiplayer but single player bored me. I HATE the stupid login system they introduced. That alone bothered me enough not to bother with the game any more.
                  The single player made little sense, odd that they removed the ladder (from which the whole series name comes from). As for the login system, it's completely optional, so...

Comment

I've played the hell out of UT2004. It's one of the games that got me into online gaming in the first place. So you could probably imagine how excited I was for UT3. However, when it was finally released and after I started playing the demo... oh the dissapointment.

The gameplay was solid. They spent a lot of time fixing the balance issues with the weapons (ESPECIALLY the Shock Rifle and Lightning Gun). I also thought the graphics engine was nicely built, considering the hardware it could run on. However, the original appeal of the game is gone.

The taunts were restricted to 5 or 6 extremely lame ones and it got very annoying after a while. It was very grungy looking, pretty much Gears Of War. Hell, it would have looked exactly like Gears of War if it weren't for the Krall. The single player... OH GOD, the single player. It was one of the most ill-concieved, poorly acted, horribly scripted experiences I've ever seen in my life. UT doesn't need a storyline, and it never did. There's a tournament where you kill each other, that's it, that's all you need. Little story is much, MUCH better than a terrible one.

Lastly, I think the biggest problem with UT3 is it didn't evolve. Times have changed. People aren't so much into shoot-em-ups as they were in the 90's. Deathmatch and CTF will always be around, but the big gametype that was supposed to give people a reason to buy UT3 was just Onslaught from UT2004. Been there, done that.

If they make UT4, I really hope they think out of the box and come up with something new and fresh. But knowing Epic's track record in the past couple years, I don't think that's going to happen.

Comment

Working...
                    X