No announcement yet.

Experimenting With No "Hover Ads" On Phoronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I turned off adblock for a couple days. Turned it back on today after opening a Phoronix page in a background tab and found it making tons of noise from some pop-over ad.

I turn it off for sites I like, but that's with the condition that the ads be bearable. Noisy ads are the worst, on top of that they're terrible on mobile browsers as they're extremely hard to close without a mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
      I turned off adblock for a couple days. Turned it back on today after opening a Phoronix page in a background tab and found it making tons of noise from some pop-over ad.

I turn it off for sites I like, but that's with the condition that the ads be bearable. Noisy ads are the worst, on top of that they're terrible on mobile browsers as they're extremely hard to close without a mouse.
      Noisy ads I don't tolerate either... As I've mentioned to others, when such ads do appear, please let me know their name (or screenshot) and ad URL, so I can get them blocked from the network. I don't get to see every ad that appears so when there is an offender chances are I don't know unless people report them.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Two things:

A. - Adblock to stop this kind of madness
        B. - Bitcoins donation so Michael can still buy his beers without going broke.

I mean, how can people find the web browseable without such plugins? I rediscovered what an AWEFUL mess of ads the web has become when I started browsing on my smartphone... until Adblock got released for it too. YOU WILL NEVER SEE ME TURNING AN AD-BLOCKER OFF, EVER. I prefere donating (directly to authors I like) rather than even considering turning adblock off and thus validating the middle-men responsible for this aweful state of things. I want my old web back.

Also, though ad companies are giving a bit to the authors of such websites, their ads cost a lot of bandwidth and thus time and/or money (depending on the data plan). Thus you're really better of donating.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
          B. - Bitcoins donation so Michael can still buy his beers without going broke.
          I rarely even drink beer these days... And obviously beer is far from being my only expense...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Many ad servers rely on tracking thus cannot be cached

Originally posted by geearf View Post
            Thanks to the people mentioning Ghostery, that looks very interesting!
            As for adblocking... one my main issue is really loading time... When I go to a website that has various ads and they take forever to load while the website does not... it's super annoying.
            I wonder why the websites cannot pre-cache a certain amount of ads before and serve them from their own servers... that'd be a lot better for visitors.
            A pre-cache system serves ads just fine, but it does not track users. Therefore, those ad networks that make their money on tracking people don't want to go there. I suspect the spread of adblockers will eventually force the big adservers to switch to a non-tracked, pre-cached model, as ads served directly from the main server would be almost immune to blocking. Such ads exist now, but Michael reports that they are not paying well.

Ads-or any other content-that takes too long to load could be loaded sequentially instead of all at once. Worst case I ever saw was a blog with many embedded videos, all with sound, all set to auto-start. Each video was a good one, but to watch one required finding and shutting off all the others, and the bandwidth made that almost impossible.

Comment

I'd prefer it if everybody donated, then we'd only
              have to donate a small amount for Michael to
              be able to make a living from the site. Even
              the equivalent of one Starbucks coffee every
              two months from every reader would probably
              make a difference.

Comment

That assumes all readers have income

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
                I'd prefer it if everybody donated, then we'd only
                have to donate a small amount for Michael to
                be able to make a living from the site. Even
                the equivalent of one Starbucks coffee every
                two months from every reader would probably
                make a difference.
                Some of us are not employed and literally cannot afford to buy anything at Starbucks. There is a huge difference between gamers who work at Google and "Occupy" protesters in the park. None of my work is monetized, and I am not about to sell ads on the anticapitalist videos I publish. It would be nice if people donated to me to cover things like storage (HDD's) and rain-damaged cameras, but they don't (and often could not if they wanted to) so I have to make to with what I can get. I don't mean to be down on you but on a site with as many readers as Phoronix you have to assume that anyone from a squatter with a dumpstered desktop he is hotrodding with Ebay parts to a custom system builder selling to millionaires, to that millionaire's rich gamer son could be among the readers.
                Last edited by Luke; 28 May 2014, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I disabled Adblock, but all of your ads are still blocked by DoNotTrackMe (which I'm not going to remove).

Comment

I use Ghostery plugin, which reveals the scary state of many websites.

I use it in non-blocking mode at work because I work in publishing (for one more week) and need all the cookies and tracking to actually work.

I use Ghostery to block tracking cookies at home and that does break adverts, I am "happy" for non-too-intrusive adverts but not tracking; I actually find that adverts targeted to the *website* I am visiting can be useful and relevant... such as a review about SSDs and the like.

I would happily click through Amazon referrer links on Phoronix too. Just be sure to have links for US, UK, and various EU versions of the Amazon.~~~ website.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                      Some of us are not employed and literally cannot afford to buy anything at Starbucks. There is a huge difference between gamers who work at Google and "Occupy" protesters in the park. None of my work is monetized, and I am not about to sell ads on the anticapitalist videos I publish. It would be nice if people donated to me to cover things like storage (HDD's) and rain-damaged cameras, but they don't (and often could not if they wanted to) so I have to make to with what I can get. I don't mean to be down on you but on a site with as many readers as Phoronix you have to assume that anyone from a squatter with a dumpstered desktop he is hotrodding with Ebay parts to a custom system builder selling to millionaires, to that millionaire's rich gamer son could be among the readers.
                      I hope I didn't offend you. My point is that if the majority of people who were in a position to donate, did, rather than assume everyone else will, things would be better.

I am not boasting, but I do give modestly to charities, very selectively, as I try hard to choose ones which are efficient and perform a useful service. It can be quite hard to find those who do, rather than seem to be more of an employer of advertising executives! I found this which seems to help: http://www.givewell.org/

Comment

Working...
                      X