Steam For Linux Last Month Showed A Slight Rise In Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by omglotsofdots View Post
    i bought a freedos laptop 2 weeks ago then loaded it with ubuntu and steam. that explains the raise.
    Haha!

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      * when it works.
      Same goes for Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        As long as there are no linux exclusives, that isn't exactly easy to do. Right now, native linux support is simply a convenience to already existing linux gamers, which there were never much of to begin with. Also, Nvidia overall has better performance on linux than Windows.
        As long as the linux catalog remains at only being ~25% of the Windows catalog and that 25% does not include all of the bigger name titles then most PC Gamers are going to have a massive barrier to switching, further there has to be a significant reason as to why said gamers would *want* to use linux over windows. The Windows 8 debacle gave us an opportunity however due to the software disparity we still weren't ready to take advantage of it, and Microsoft will have fixed the primary issue via Windows 9.

The Steam Machine however provides us an out until we finally reach software parity in that console gamers do not have the same back-catalog requirement (in that they don't have a massive set of games on steam that then won't be available under linux), and thus will allow linux to gain the critical mass in gaming that it needs, at that point exclusives might work to help get the gaming population to switch over however anything before that would be temporary at best. From there it'll be a question of other critical apps (such as MS Office) as to whether the switch can occur for the rest of the population, at which point OEMs would need to start seriously offering some flavour of linux in order for there to be any success on that front. Just pulling numbers out of my ass based upon what I've seen of things I'm guessing we're still maybe 5 years off from that point.

Comment

No help from me

I haven't signed into my steam recently due to my Debian Testing Crashing and burning. The 790 Debian updates failed to install then I tried reinstalling it and now it wont even boot. Boo Hoo!

Comment

Year of Linux. Callin' it.

Comment

I wonder if these statistics include people running the Windows Steam client under wine. I have incredibly good success running all my big title Steam games under linux (except DayZ) with decent performance. This is with the CSMT patches which make a massive playability difference for a majority of my games. I'm actually able to play CS:GO through wine and play competitively ... across triple monitors ( 5760x1200 ).

Comment

Originally posted by FourDMusic View Post
                Year of Linux. Callin' it.
                Me too. From how fast AMD has been working on drivers it is clear that the improved Linux driver and Wayland support will arrive with Kernel 3.16.

NV won't rest on its laurels either. They are probably working on their own kernel patch to match AMD. NV might also be working on a new OGL extension to multithread the graphics in order to trump AMD.

Good things ahead I think.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Windows is a better gaming platform, the drivers are more stable, the performance is better, there are more games, and it have more stuff that gamers care about such as Skype, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, etc which doesn't exist for Linux or are of subpar quality.
                  Not sure about the others but Skype on Linux is loads nicer than it is on Windows. The Windows version takes up loads of screen space and is ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by zimano View Post
                    Not sure about the others but Skype on Linux is loads nicer than it is on Windows. The Windows version takes up loads of screen space and is ugly.
                    I agree. I also think Mumble is a better alternative to Teamspeak/Ventrilo. I haven't used TS since version 2, though.

Comment

Originally posted by zimano View Post
                      Yeah but the Linux version of Skype is not as featured and has a weird and confusing UI.
                      I also had some problems webcamming with my girlfriend.
                      Also when playing web cam in fullscreen, it lags and is slow.

Comment

Working...
                      X