Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam For Linux Last Month Showed A Slight Rise In Usage

Phoronix: Steam For Linux Last Month Showed A Slight Rise In Usage

The Steam Hardware Survey has been updated to reflect the April 2014 numbers. Last month, there were slightly more reported Linux users running Steam to obtain the latest Linux games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If Valve really wanted to people to move to Linux they would give special discounts only to Linux users, and special game give aways only to Linux users.

And have titles be pre-released on Linux like 24 hours or 48 hours before they come to Windows.

Windows is a better gaming platform, the drivers are more stable, the performance is better, there are more games, and it have more stuff that gamers care about such as Skype, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, etc which doesn't exist for Linux or are of subpar quality.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      If Valve really wanted to people to move to Linux they would give special discounts only to Linux users, and special game give aways only to Linux users.

And have titles be pre-released on Linux like 24 hours or 48 hours before they come to Windows.
      Before they do that they should focus on getting things to actually work on Linux. And by the looks of the lack of game updates and bug resolutions on github, that doesn't seem to be a top priority.

Comment

Windows is a better gaming platform, the drivers are more stable, the performance is better, there are more games, and it have more stuff that gamers care about such as Skype, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, etc which doesn't exist for Linux or are of subpar quality.
        As long as there are no linux exclusives, that isn't exactly easy to do. Right now, native linux support is simply a convenience to already existing linux gamers, which there were never much of to begin with. Also, Nvidia overall has better performance on linux than Windows.

Comment

Nobody will argue that. It is true for 2014. But will it be true for 2020? I think valves goal is a long term one...

And by the way:
          Skype and teamspeak are available for linux in same quality as on windows.
          Ventrilo Server also, only Ventrily client is bound to win/max

Are there other programs that gamers need on linux? Lets make a list!

Comment

i bought a freedos laptop 2 weeks ago then loaded it with ubuntu and steam. that explains the raise.

Comment

<snip>... gamers care about such as Skype, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, etc which doesn't exist for Linux or are of subpar quality.
              team speak worked fine for me on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by omglotsofdots View Post
                i bought a freedos laptop 2 weeks ago then loaded it with ubuntu and steam. that explains the raise.
                Dude, that's just part of the whole picture, last week I visited the Valve site from my Linux box.

Comment

Windows is a better gaming platform, the drivers are more stable, the performance is better,
                  If you use NVIDIA you get better performance on GNU Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
                    If you use NVIDIA you get better performance on GNU Linux.
                    * when it works.

Comment

Working...
                    X