Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: OpenBSD 5.5 Brings Y2038 Compliance, Better Hardware Support

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,104

    Default OpenBSD 5.5 Brings Y2038 Compliance, Better Hardware Support

    Phoronix: OpenBSD 5.5 Brings Y2038 Compliance, Better Hardware Support

    OpenBSD 5.5 has been released! OpenBSD 5.5 is now Year 2038 compliant for all platforms by making time_t 64-bit, there's new hardware support, and other changes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY3NzY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    15

    Default

    As an OpenBSD user I find it confusing that they didn't patch OpenSSL in the final release. One will have to compile base system in order to fix this issue, or to use OpenBSD-current :/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    289

    Default What's going on?

    Michael, are you ok???? you put a link to an external site!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplay View Post
    As an OpenBSD user I find it confusing that they didn't patch OpenSSL in the final release. One will have to compile base system in order to fix this issue, or to use OpenBSD-current :/
    It isn't necessary to compile the base system, a patch for -release is already on www.openbsd.org/errata55.html and it only requires rebuilding libssl (and FTP).

    Updating to -stable would require rebuilding the base system however (but would also fix the issue).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    270

    Default

    I don't think the OpenBSD devs have ported the Radeon DRM from the FreeBSD project. OpenBSD had the stack committed several weeks in advance of the FreeBSD guys.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplay View Post
    As an OpenBSD user I find it confusing that they didn't patch OpenSSL in the final release. One will have to compile base system in order to fix this issue, or to use OpenBSD-current :/
    That's why OpenBSD sucks along with the rest of BSD. They make such a big noise about heartbleed while at the same time openly expose their users to the very same bug.

    I recommend you switch to Linux, it's much more secure, secure updates are applied in a second and it's much more user friendly. OpenBSD has at least few security holes willingly planted by the developers for the NSA and CIA to use.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BSDude View Post
    I don't think the OpenBSD devs have ported the Radeon DRM from the FreeBSD project. OpenBSD had the stack committed several weeks in advance of the FreeBSD guys.
    Correct. Michael seems to make up crap all too often.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by endman View Post
    That's why OpenBSD sucks along with the rest of BSD. They make such a big noise about heartbleed while at the same time openly expose their users to the very same bug.

    I recommend you switch to Linux, it's much more secure, secure updates are applied in a second and it's much more user friendly. OpenBSD has at least few security holes willingly planted by the developers for the NSA and CIA to use.
    LOL. Batshit crazy go back to your cave.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archibald View Post
    It isn't necessary to compile the base system, a patch for -release is already on www.openbsd.org/errata55.html and it only requires rebuilding libssl (and FTP).

    Updating to -stable would require rebuilding the base system however (but would also fix the issue).
    Mind showing us how to do it? Links, Steps etc.? Because I hear OpenBSD doesn't allow you to compile individual components. Only either the whole kernel or userland.

    Quote Originally Posted by BSDude
    I don't think the OpenBSD devs have ported the Radeon DRM from the FreeBSD project. OpenBSD had the stack committed several weeks in advance of the FreeBSD guys.
    No, they did.

    They do not have the man power nor the tenacity to port it straight from Linux.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brad0 View Post
    Correct. Michael seems to make up crap all too often.
    Brad0, the BSD fayboy.

    Looks with you're just pissed that OpenBSD's "new" radeon is old and outdated from Linux 3.8.

    In Linux today, we use radeon from Linux 3.15. OpenBSD is years behind Linux in everything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •