Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pick a discrete card...

Originally posted by thegeek6 View Post
    That's ironic, most of the options on the System76 site for Desktop and Laptops default to Intel graphics.
    The last I looked, the only discrete card options were Nvidia. I suspect ATI support would be comparatively more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      False, as proven by Phoronix again and again.

Latest: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...04_win81&num=3
      I am greatful that AMD seems to be improving their Linux performance. That is the first benchmark I have seen where catalyst performs better on Linux. And I look at a lot of benchmarks.

However, that Catalyst driver is beta. I strongly suspect that if we look over the various benchmarks over the past year, we will see a consistent deficit of catalyst drivers vs. Nvidia offerings on Linux and their windows counterparts.

Comment

Originally posted by matto View Post
        Is there anything in the way of open-source graphics drivers for this board?
        I thought there were earlier articles about Tegra nouveau drivers
        I would expect that nouveau will be an option eventually. You might need to wait until some nouveau dev gets their hands one one of these boards.

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
          I would expect that nouveau will be an option eventually. You might need to wait until some nouveau dev gets their hands one one of these boards.
          It's a work in progress: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...il/058541.html

Comment

Originally posted by md1032 View Post
            right, I am aware of that work.. I was hoping that someone w/ one of these boards could check if they are using nouveau kernel module already.

I'd assume some patches needed here and there in userspace too, since currently userspace figures out what to do based on pci-id's. And now we have separate gpu (nouveau) vs display (tegradrm) drivers. Etc. I'm sure *someone* has nouveau working on the thing already, but not don't think everything needed is upstream and released yet, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by deppman View Post
              The last I looked, the only discrete card options were Nvidia. I suspect ATI support would be comparatively more expensive.
              Ahh, I didn't catch the "discrete" part. thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Wow, thanks, I spent hours working on this, had no idea the drivers were the problem. Still very new to Linux, and Ubuntu. Thanks! Working like a champ now.
                PS After you got the new board up and running, did you re-flash with the latest Ubuntu using the cuda toolkit installer? Im afraid to break the install again. Thanks, Milache.

Comment

Working...
                X