Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running The NVIDIA Binary Blob On The Tegra K1 ARM SoC

Default Running The NVIDIA Binary Blob On The Tegra K1 ARM SoC

Phoronix: Running The NVIDIA Binary Blob On The Tegra K1 ARM SoC

For those lucky enough to already have their Jetson TK1 ARM development boards shipped out by NVIDIA, here's a few tips to get better setup within the default Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Linux environment...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY3NzM

Wow. We need to get this in peoples' hands.

Quote Originally Posted by scionicspectre View Post
    Wow. We need to get this in peoples' hands.
    Bask in my enthusiasm over a devboard that ships with a giant binary proprietary black hole in the home dir you must use to even make X reach a desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by zanny View Post
    Bask in my enthusiasm over a devboard that ships with a giant binary proprietary black hole in the home dir you must use to even make X reach a desktop.
    Yeah! Pros don't need a GUI.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    with four ARM Cortex-A15 cores (plus a fifth companion core)
    I read this as "plus a fifth companion cube". Playing way too much Portal...

Is there anything in the way of open-source graphics drivers for this board?
    I thought there were earlier articles about Tegra nouveau drivers

Default nVidia are the worst, except for all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by zanny View Post
    Although I wish at some level the driver were OSS, only nVidia provides first-class, top-quality, high-performance OGL 4.4 on Linux. You can't say that of anyone else. And if they want or need to keep it proprietary, that's ok by me.

By comparison, AMD's Catalyst drivers range from mediocre to "I-can't-believe-you-shipped-that-steaming-pile" in spec compliance, performance and reliability. At their best, Catalyst seems to get 75% of their Windows drivers. Their OSS offerings are also spotty and have trouble with performance. Intel gets better marks for their OSS offerings, but they too have issues with spec compliance.

I build and spec Linux boxes, and every discrete graphics board I purchase is nVidia because it just works. Look at System76 (all nVidia) and zaReason (nVidia choices first) as examples of others who have come to the same conclusion. Steam picked nVidia for a reason.

If everyone had their shit together as well as nVidia and their dev kit on Linux, I suspect Google wouldn't have much excuse for disabling video HW acceleration by default on Chrome.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by deppman View Post
    Although I wish at some level the driver were OSS, only nVidia provides first-class, top-quality, high-performance OGL 4.4 on Linux. You can't say that of anyone else. And if they want or need to keep it proprietary, that's ok by me.

By comparison, AMD's Catalyst drivers range from mediocre to "I-can't-believe-you-shipped-that-steaming-pile" in spec compliance, performance and reliability. At their best, Catalyst seems to get 75% of their Windows drivers. Their OSS offerings are also spotty and have trouble with performance. Intel gets better marks for their OSS offerings, but they too have issues with spec compliance.

I build and spec Linux boxes, and every discrete graphics board I purchase is nVidia because it just works. Look at System76 (all nVidia) and zaReason (nVidia choices first) as examples of others who have come to the same conclusion. Steam picked nVidia for a reason.

If everyone had their shit together as well as nVidia and their dev kit on Linux, I suspect Google wouldn't have much excuse for disabling video HW acceleration by default on Chrome.
    That's ironic, most of the options on the System76 site for Desktop and Laptops default to Intel graphics.

At their best, Catalyst seems to get 75% of their Windows drivers.
    False, as proven by Phoronix again and again.

Latest: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...04_win81&num=3

By comparison, AMD's Catalyst drivers range from mediocre to "I-can't-believe-you-shipped-that-steaming-pile" in spec compliance, performance and reliability.
    Personally I AMD Cataclysm hater for a long time, but it's always were less permissive from point of OpenGL/GLSL spec compatibility. It's Nvidia who allow compile any crap within GLSL shaders and then this crap don't work with any other driver which follow spec more strictly.

About real spec implementation it's also open question too and nobody just using latest OpenGL core profile so we can't actually test it properly. If you make some real OpenGL 4.3/4.4 application and then test it with old Nvidia drivers that state this version support your app most likely will fail or crash. So I suppose big part of Nvidia's "first day" GL/GLSL compatibility it's nothing more than just marketing bullshit.

At their best, Catalyst seems to get 75% of their Windows drivers.
    Lie. AMD had crappy OpenGL performance for long time on both drivers, but Windows/Linux performance game never were that big. E.g Unigine Benchmarks perform for 10-15% better in D3D11 mode for long time, but not situation improved.

Situation with new kernels/X compatibility still really bad with AMD for me, but if you have Ubuntu 12.04 it's will have 95%+ of Windows driver performance.

Google have long history as company which have no interest in their software product support on Linux.

I suppose they didn't release Google Drive client due to graphics drivers problems too.

Default VDPAU?

Can you tell me: Does this board have VDPAU support with the proprietary driver?

Thanks,
    -bms