X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only one full sized usb? :/

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      It's $200 for the whole board, right? The SoC is probably cheap to them (the rumors were ~$35 for the older Tegra chips), but getting your own board spun up and manufactured especially for reasonably low production can't be cheap. I'm just referring to production here; imagine how much they had to pay all the engineers that had a hand in making it happen, both hardware and software.
      As I understand it, it's the tracings and related components that cost with normal motherboards. This, however, is a soc with pop, so no memory tracings. It has sata, serial, audio, and...? So, not a complicated board to design.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        As I understand it, it's the tracings and related components that cost with normal motherboards. This, however, is a soc with pop, so no memory tracings. It has sata, serial, audio, and...? So, not a complicated board to design.
        How much would it cost you to get one of these things manufactured?

Comment

If its going to require active cooling such as a fan, then might as well get an x86.

Comment

indeed

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            If its going to require active cooling such as a fan, then might as well get an x86.
            There are actually some nice fanless mini PCs based on Intel Celeron C1037U or even Bay Trail I think for around $200-$250 on aliexpress. This is a dev board so I suppose we shouldn't really compare the two but certainly if you don't need ARM these seem like better solutions.
            I'm not saying the fan can't be replaced with a fanless solution but you need to find and buy that fanless heatsink that will fit this. Then you need also need to remove the old one and mount this.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              How much would it cost you to get one of these things manufactured?
              Personally? To get a single board, maybe a few $10 000 and that'd be a one-off (no assembly setup), but that's a guess.

Comment

I see this has a mini pci-e connector, anyone know if it is possible to have some kind of SATA card plugged into this giving a few extra SATA ports or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Comment

Originally posted by zimano View Post
                  I see this has a mini pci-e connector, anyone know if it is possible to have some kind of SATA card plugged into this giving a few extra SATA ports or am I barking up the wrong tree?
                  From the module specification found here:

One empty half mini-PCIE slot with one USB and single lane PEX
                  So yes, it's the same as usual and something like this should work. They make miniPCI-E to PCI-E slot adapter kits and parts, too, so you should be able to attach anything, including another GPU... that's good news. Michael, can we get Maxwell eGPU tests on this for the lulz? You might be surprised what a GPU can do with only 1 PCI-E lane... and I'm curious about whether the ARM firmware handles 2x VGA devices as neatly as a typical laptop.

Comment

What's the point ?

It's probably nice as cheap ARM platform to experiment with, but for anything useful, what's the point ?

Existing x86 offers from AMD and Intel are cheaper, much more versatile ( more ports etc).

Also, I remmber reading on the Semiaccurate that Tk will fall way below marketing claims and that its stated power consumption is essentially scam.

And now we see first boards actively cooled.

With such power consumption, how much sense it makes to go for ARM option that is much more expensive to boot ?

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
                      It's probably nice as cheap ARM platform to experiment with, but for anything useful, what's the point ?

Existing x86 offers from AMD and Intel are cheaper, much more versatile ( more ports etc).

Also, I remmber reading on the Semiaccurate that Tk will fall way below marketing claims and that its stated power consumption is essentially scam.

And now we see first boards actively cooled.

With such power consumption, how much sense it makes to go for ARM option that is much more expensive to boot ?
                      Everything you wrote is bullshit. There were claims that Logan's (32-bit K1) TDP claims were a scam but you now see it sitting in two thin tablets. Similar claims were made about its performance but it's chart topping, as we now see. And it is pretty much confirmed that Denver will be in Google's upcoming Nexus 9, made by HTC.

Comment

Working...
                      X